Chapter 9

Note: Guys, I SERIOUSLY need a suggestion for chapter 11(bonus scene). Like three days need. In  the mean time, eat chocolate because it's good for your brain and enjoy this chapter! Also I loooooooove tips and reviews. Have a great day! (Or night, if you live in Canada like me.)

 P.S. Hope ya like my cover photos! (This one's a demented mite or Arach. Not sure which. A Marach, perhaps?) Also, what's a duck's favourite food? QUACKERS!!! :D

During Major Goodwin's lecture, Ignatius snapped awake once more for he did not want to embarrass his master again, although most of the humans didn't notice, but the Salamander was oblivious to the ironic obliviousness of humans, dwarf, and elf alike. Major Goodwin was currently talking about mites and their cousins. 

"You see, mites usually develop their stings around at around a year and a few months. Damsels, however, develop theirs in a measly month. Can anyone tell me what rank Damsels are?" The major said, spittle spraying over Tarquin and Malik. Both boys wiped their faces in disgust, but were wary of the professor and accepted the shower of fluid. His demon was a Lycan, and it was fully matured and level eight, so it was a fit match for either of the boys demons, and he knew much more battle spells. 

"Fletcher? What level?" The man said, eyeing him with disdain. Master had forgotten to purchase a quill and paper, and for that reason he had not jotted down a single rune. Now the Major hated him.

"Uhhhh..." Fletcher hesitated. Igniatus nipped him thrice on the arm, one bite for each of the Damsel's levels, but unfortunately, he just swatted the pesky Salamander. "Two, Major Goodwin." He said, guessing. Damsels were slightly stronger than mites, and mites were level one. Ignatius gave Fletcher an annoyed snap, eliciting a loud cry. 

"No. How absurd! Do you take me for an idiot?" The man bellowed. Tarquin and Malik flinched. "They obviously are level three! Register their flying attribute also! Now, tell me what is special about a Damsels mouth?

"Nothing, Sir." Fletcher replied. 

"Alright. You got lucky there. Eyes?" The man continued.

Fletcher sent a mental image Rotherham talking to Fletcher about demons in the forge. The image helped Fletcher, for Rotherham had told him about that!

"Their eyes are a carapace, tinted strangely so predators cannot see through and they can. Their real eyes hide inside the shells, and have three irises." Fletcher replied confidently.

Major Goodwin gaped, then said "You're getting lucky, nothing more. Now, who can tell me elemental humanoids there are, along with their names?"

Malik raised his hand, eager to demonstrate his demonic knowledge. The Major nodded towards the young noble. "Three, Sir."

"And their names?"

"The most common is a Golem, second is the Ifrit and the third and rarest is the Jotun." 

"Good, good. Tarquin, where are the Caladrius believed to be found?" The Major said, quizzing the boy beside Malik, the one who arrived early and had such disdain against commoners. The Forsyth. 

"Above the clouds, in the ether, Sir." Tarquin replied. "There two are others, too. They are called they are called Polarions, ice birds, and Pheonixes, the firebirds."

"There is one more species," Major Goodwin said as Tarquin's face fell. "But I did not ask them of you, so it's quite alright."

"When were Jotuns first discovered?" Major Goodwin said, and the crowd erupted in murmurs. None of them knew, so the old man signed and resumed his speech. "The Jotuns, be sure to write this down, were first discovered in an ancient eleven scroll. It was a fleeting reference in a fictional scroll, so some believe it does not exist." He glared at master for no apparent reason, then said "The passage goes as such:

Thy mighty bringer of terror thou brought forth thy stout Golem, blazing Ifrit and frigid Jotun, all charging up thy acclivous slope, bowling down fell, sanguinary orcs and leafless trees alike. After thy heroine seized thou oaken fortress as well as saving thy kin.

As you can tell, two of the demons are the Golem and Ifrit, mentioned by Malik there," Major Goodwin nodded towards the dark haired boy. "The third is probably an ice creature, due to the brief description. Also, this paper was simply a scrap on the forest floor, so we had a hard time finding its origins. The summoners and demons searched the libraries for many a month, and found a new scroll missing a part. The Ballad of Arva Thinblade. This work depicted a tale of an elf who freed her village from the Orcs, and she had a veritable trio of humanoid Titans, so her demons were probably fully matured. We're actually not sure if it is really fictional, so Jotuns may very well be in the Orcish or Elven regions of the ether, or maybe from somewhere else across the sea."

The students were all frantically scribbling now, so the old Major paused to let them catch up.

"What does acclivous mean?" Rory asked, puzzled. Fletcher nodded, he and Igniatus wondered the same thing. Even the nobles looked stumped.

"Acclivous is an adj--" Major Goodwin started, but was interrupted by the great doors smashing open. "Who in the name of Eldrin dares interru- Oh, hello Arcturus!" The Major said, switching from furious to pleasant in a matter of milliseconds. 

"Major Goodwin." Arcturus said, Sacharissa licking his leg. "It's an Orc raid. One on Rimgard. Beside the valley and near Vocans." He continued as he tried to catch his breath.

Note: Yaaaay! Cliffhanger!! Igniatus and his sidekick, Fletcher are going to sneak to a village and help fight an Orc raid! I thought of this myself but I'm still open to suggestions. Also this may take a few chapters and since it took me two days to finish this, the first note is basically a new chapter. The duo might no remember this episode though because-- I mean no spoilers! 

P.S. Acclivous means 'steep'.