Chapter 16

The cadet's shoes clacked loudly on the marble staircases of Vocans Academy as the rushed to their lessons. Ignatius was perched on his master, Fletcher, 's neck as they joined the stampede. Apparently, the potion had made Fletcher's brain revert to its original state-before the raid. He wouldn't remember it, and Arcturus thought it was for the best. He had seen some things he should never had to witness. They even made Ignatius quail. The Captain had given the others small doses of a drug that increased forgetfulness of the last two days, so they wouldn't be plagued by nightmares. The days in Vocans were stressful enough without night terrors. In fact, all the second years had received a dose in their baked potatoes that night.  

"Hey Fletcher! Where were you? You missed Lovett's advanced infusion courses! Scipio–-er-- Provost Scipio took over spellcraft and Demonology. We learned about Kamaitachis, they're like monster ferrets! I want one, and Machi, of course." Rory gushed as he scampered to Fletcher's side. His green mite landed on his head and nipped at his bangs.

"I-I-" Fletcher stuttered, confused. Ignatius licked his ear. "I can't remember. It's really weird and fuzzy... Oh yeah! I remember! I went on a field trip with some of the second years for Demonology because Major Goodwin thought I should learn about Orcish demons. Ye know. I got hit on the head hard, but Arcturus filled me in on what I forgot." He replied, gesturing towards his Salamander. That was the feeder story he had received from Captain Arcturus and Major Goodwin to compensate for his potion-induced amnesia.

Rory nodded, but he looked a little unconvinced. "You know what's pretty cool? Genevieve and I can now make Wrydlights into balls! They're amazing!" He said as he whipped out an glowing, somewhat misshapen, orb of mana. The boy bit his lip in concentration until someone bodychecked him into a tapestry depicting a demon being gifted. Rory grunted in pain, then turned around to face his assailant.

"Wow, baby can now make a baby bwall! Good for him!" Tarquin teased in a childish tone. Isadora giggled next to him and mock-clapped disdainfully. He shoved Rory once more, then pivoted on the heel of his shoe, which squeaked annoyingly, then stalked off with his sister in tow. Rory growled in frustration and Fletcher balled his fists. Ignatius sensed his rage and blew a shower of sparks at a random student, probably Rufus, causing him to yelp in shock. It was rather high pitched.

"It's okay Rory, he doesn't know what he's talking about." Fletcher growled angrily.  "You're plenty good."

"No, I'm not. Everyone's saying that Mites suck, but we can't even catch more demons!" Rory sobbed. He stomped, then rejoined the hordes of students passing by, leaving Ignatius alone with his master.

"I suppose we should go to Arcturus' class now." Fletcher said.

Ignatius sat curled up on his master's neck as they listened to their teacher, Captain Arcturus.

"Listen up! Come on, you three in the back!" He called angrily. Isadora, Tarquin, and Rufus were chatting in the back. Well, mostly the twins, because Rufus simply followed them in a worship-like manner. The group fell silent, not wanting to antagonize their superior.

"Anyways, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted," he cast a annoyed glance at Tarquin. "I want you all to make a Wrydlight." Arcturus said, causing Tarquin to groan.

"Our education standard is being lowered by those lazy commoners!" He hissed. Everyone ignored him and produced brilliant orbs of light.

"Now, extinguish it." Arcturus said, causing Rory to groan in despair. He looked like if he did a few more, he would faint. Everyone complied then waited further instructions.

"Now, I want you to do it again and this time, channel the mana to your finger instead of through. Your fingers should look like Fletcher's during the first lesson." Arcturus announced. The group obeyed once more, and the room was illuminated by half a dozen candle-like fingers.

"Whoa!" Cried a few students, but the some of the nobles wore bored expressions on their faces.

"Now, watch this." Arcturus said, then drew a triangular shape in the air with a luminous appendage. Suddenly, a shield burst into existence, fuelled by threads of pulsating mana coming from Arcturus' finger. The shield shrunk to the size of a lemon, then became a thick shield two meters long and wide, drawing cries of amazement from even the nobles. After a few warping seconds, the shield collapsed and was vacuumed into the Captain's finger. 

"There are many spells we can cast," Arcturus said. "Spells are cast by etching their symbol in the air with a charged finger. This is the shield spell, one of my favourites due to its versatility and power. Of course, there are offensive spells too. Can somebody name the four essential spells of a battlemage?" 

A few cadets raised their hands, but Arcturus called on Malik. The captain nodded at him.

"The Fireball spell, the Lightning spell, and the Shield spell." He replied. Arcturus cocked an eyebrow, then said "That's three. What's the fourth?"

Seraph raised his hand hesitantly, ink dribbling from his quill. "Um, telekinesis...?" He answered. 

"Yes, that's right. The act of moving something without physically touching it. Some argue that the healing spell should be a fifth essential spell, but it takes a lot of mana and acts very slowly. If you had to choose four spells to bring into combat, pick the essentials. If it's a journey, swap the healing spell with the Fire or Lighting." Arcturus told them, and a flurry of scribbling ensued. 

After the lesson, Arcturus told them to go to Lovett's for Etherwork and capture. 

"Hurry up, you can all go to Corcilium after the lesson!" Arcturus called after them, voice echoing in the stone halls. 

Note: Thanks so much for reading! Sorry I couldn't post earlier, just tied up with homework. I may add some OCs, but enjoy for now! Be sure to check out Ausar the Vile: Hero no more.