Jamie's Perspective.

Jamie Porterfield’s P.O.V:

           I leaned against the wall, tired and bored. I’d been up until two in the morning last night, since I was just not able to get a good night’s sleep. I had felt nervous and stressed, unsure of how today would go. It was hard going to a new school in the middle of the semester, and hard moving to a small place altogether. I had come from a big city, Toronto, and now here I was in Secord, a small town. It could have been worse, but it still wasn’t great. Secord was boring, and there wasn’t much to do. It didn’t have the pulse and vibrancy of the city, or anything close to it for that matter. Long story short, I wasn’t intrigued.

          “Allie!” I called, annoyed. The letter we got in the mail two days ago had informed us that our school bus would be arriving at eight, and it was five minutes to. I wasn’t getting my G2 until Friday afternoon, but once I did I would able to drive my Dad’s old truck, which would be a lot better than the bus.

          “Yes?” I heard Allie shout from upstairs.

          “You need to hurry.”

          “I’m not done my makeup yet though!” She whined. I frowned, irritated.

          “Then I’m leaving without you.” I informed her. “Bye Mom.” I called into the kitchen.

          “Bye, honey, have a great first day.” She gave me a quick hug. “And don’t worry about Allie; I’ll make sure she’s there on time.”

          “Okay,” I replied, as I slid my shoes on and grabbed my backpack before I dashed out the door.

          I stepped out into the crisp morning air, and I had to admit it was pretty here. But what made it even prettier was the girl I saw walking down the road. Her steps were quick, and her gaze was fixed. It appeared as though she was on some sort of a mission.

          I hurried up my driveway, and mustered the courage to fall into step with this mysterious girl. She didn’t seem to notice me at first, but when she did, it seemed that I was quite a surprise.

          “Oh!” She gasped, her brown eyes wide. They were filled with small gold flecks, I noticed, which were enhanced by the morning sun.

          “Hello,” I said to her, studying her face. She had a luminous, almost golden skin tone and perfect bow-shaped lips. Her eyes were wide with confusion, her long dark hair ruffling around her stunning features.

          “H-hi,” She stammered back, clearly flustered. “Who are you?”

          “Straightforward,” I commented. “I’m Jamie. I just moved in.” I pointed over to my house.

          “Oh.” Her smile was weak. “Interesting.”

          “You looked focused,” I told her. “When you were walking.”

          “I was studying in my head.” She replied, her eyes flashing to my face and then away. We kept walking, and I saw her sights were fixed on a red stop sign up ahead. She went on my bus.

          “Studying in your head? That takes talent.” I replied, as if I was impressed. And strangely, I was.

          “Not really. I just have too much time on my hands.”

          “But you’re probably going to ace that test? So that’s a bonus.”

          “It’s just a quiz.” She shrugged, her lips curved into a small smile.