Cameron's Perspective.

Cameron Hale’s P.O.V:

           I shut my locker, and turned around to face Landon Cosling and Henry Miyagi, my two best friends. We were all on the lacrosse team together, and they were a good way to pass time while I waited for Cora to show up. She hadn’t been too happy with me last night, but she almost always was in a better mood by morning.

          “Have you seen Reese Tannenbaum today? Her top doesn’t even cover her stomach. It’s so hot.” Landon was saying, as he bit into an apple. I tried to resist rolling my eyes. In my opinion, Reese was sort-of boring looking, and thought too highly of herself. She was nice to me though, and Cora’s best friend, so I didn’t mind her too much.

          “I think she looks like such a slut.” Replied Henry. “She just wants attention.”

          “That’s true, but she’s still hot. I made out with her once in grade nine.” Landon nodded with pride.

          “Okay, that is pretty impressive.” Henry smirked.

          I had stopped listening by now though, I peered around Henry to see Cora walking through the hall. She looked cute today. She was wearing short shorts, showing off her tanned legs, and a lacy white top. I started to approach her, but then I saw the guy standing beside her. They were engaged in conversation.

          I had never seen this guy before. He was pretty tall, with messy black hair. He was certainly the kind of guy I should feel threatened by, and I did. He was definitely more muscular than I was, and I felt angry that he seemed so interested in Cora. Nobody looked at a girl like that unless they really liked them.

          Infuriated, I walked right up to Cora. “Hey baby,” I grinned, slipping an arm around her.

          I noticed her eyes widen, and flicker to the tall guy. “Um, hi.” She replied, and I could feel her loosening herself from my grip.

          I ignored her for the time being though, and stared at the mystery guy. He looked surprised, and maybe even a little dejected. Good.

          “Hi,” I smiled at him confidently, keeping my arm around Cora’s waist. “I’m Cameron, Cora’s boyfriend. And you are?” I asked, stressing the word boyfriend only slightly.

          “Jamie Porterfield. I just moved here.” He grinned back, just as confidently.

          “Oh,” I replied, not knowing what to say. “Cool.”

          “Yes,” Cora interjected. “I was just showing Jamie to his locker. It’s near mine. So if you’ll excuse me--”

          I quickly cut her off. “I’ll come too.”

          Cora grunted, but didn’t protest. I wished she would have been in a better mood with me so that I could show Jamie who Cora really belonged to.

          She went up to the third floor and into Science hall. “What number was it again?” She smiled sweetly at Jamie, and I tried to resist punching him in the face.

          “3339,” He replied, smiling back. I watched as his eyes canvassed her body. My jealousy got even stronger.

          “Here you go,” Cora tapped a locker. “Mine’s just down here.” She pointed down the hall.

          “Great, now I’ll know where to find you.” He beamed at her.

          “Perfect. I’ll see you in History?” She cocked her head, her hair swinging.

          “See you then.” His tone was so joyful that I wanted to light myself on fire. I grabbed Cora’s hand and pulled her down the hall before any more of this could go on.

          “Jeez,” Cora said, ripping her hand out of mine. We were at her locker now, and she started spinning the combination. “What’s wrong with you today?”

          “Nothing.” I huffed. “Listen, I’m sorry about how I was acting last night. I shouldn’t have been that way. But I just want things to be happy again. You look beautiful today, by the way.” I smiled at her.

          She tried to resist grinning back, but failed. “Okay,” Cora said, giving in. “I wasn’t acting so great either. In fact, I felt bad. I wasn’t being all that nice.”

          “Neither of us were. But mostly me. I won’t make you feel that way again, I promise.” I murmured, bringing my body closer to hers.

          “Good.” She smiled, and I leaned down to kiss her. My eyes flickered over to Jamie, he had seen us. Good.

          I pulled back, satisfied. “So that Jamie kid seems nice, huh?” I lied.

          “Really? It didn’t seem like you liked him. But yeah, he’s a good guy. At least from what I can tell. He’s going to give me rides to school starting next week. Isn’t that great? Now I don’t have to take the bus.” Cora rambled excitedly.

          My heart dropped. “He lives near you?”

          She nodded. “Just a few houses down.”

          “And he’s in our History class?” I sighed.

          “That’s right.”

          “Great.” I tried to sound enthusiastic. “By the way, Reese was looking for you this morning. She said she had something really exciting to tell you.”

          “Huh? Really?” Cora pulled out her Blackberry. “She didn’t send me any BBM’s.”      

          I shrugged. “It’s just what she said.”

          “Whatever, I’ll talk to her at lunch.” Cora smiled at me, and a bit of my earlier jealousy melted away. “I have to go to science, see you later.”

          I gave her a quick kiss, and turned to go to my first class, Gym.

          I entered the gymnasium after hurriedly getting changed, the voices of my classmates echoing throughout it. I spotted Landon running a few laps, and raced up to join him.

          “Hey,” He huffed, out of breath. His blonde hair was already soaked with sweat. “Have you met that Jamie kid? I asked if he played lacrosse and he told me he played for Toronto’s triple A team. I told him to try out for our team tonight. Maybe we’ll actually start winning some games.” Landon grinned, clearly happy about this, but anger flared up in inside of me.

          I was the co-captain of the lacrosse team, with Landon being captain, and I was always midfielder. And I’d never been able to make triple A, let alone Toronto’s triple A. That meant Jamie had to be at least ten times better than me, and would definitely steal my spot as co-captain if he joined the team.

          I groaned internally, when I noticed Jamie sprinting past me, with Henry at his side. He’d been at this school for fifteen minutes and had already managed to flirt with my girlfriend, make friends with all of my friends, and become a threat to my position on the lacrosse team. Needless to say, I didn’t like him. But if I were to make that obvious, it would just make me look bad. I knew Cora would get mad if I mentioned anything to her about my suspicion of Jamie being interested in her, and Henry and Landon would disagree with my not wanting Jamie on the team. So, I would just have to go along with it for now. Or maybe become his friend? That way, I could make sure he stays away from Cora, and perhaps convince him not to join the team.

          I raced up to him, a ready smile on my face. “Have plans for lunch today? Landon, Harry and I were going to grab something in town.”

          He smiled back, looking pleased. “Sure, thanks.”

          I took a deep breath and quickly ran a final lap. I finished with a long exhale and the thought that maybe Jamie wouldn’t be such a threat after all.