Chapter Five: Following the Trail

Azlyn was confused, to say the least. What was happening with Kylee? Sure, she was in trouble, and Azlyn understood that, but what was Kylee trying to say? Headph-. What was that?

Headph-

Headph-

Headphones.

It was headphones. Azlyn tried to remember what that entailed, until she was thrown into a memory.

~Three years ago~

Az, Az, help! Someone ran off with Caden!"

Azlyn stared at Kylee.

"Someone ran off with your dog? Who would want him?" Azlyn smiled, and Kylee laughed, but not for long, before her face turned serious and sad.

"Biscuit, are you serious? Someone ran off with your dog?" 

Kylee nodded, tears streaming down her face.

"Plus, he stole my headphones!"

"Your.....headphones?" Azlyn sighed. "Did you put your headphones on the dog again?" I chuckled when she nodded, then got a straight face.

"Didn't you call the cops?" Azlyn inquired, and Kylee nodded.

"They're not going to get here in time, I'll lose Caden, help me!"

"Okay, where did he go?"

She pointed in the direction that he supposedly went. Azlyn could see a person running down the street, carrying a fluff ball. Caden the dog. The girl turned to her friend.

"Okay, Kyles, which form?"

"Better go with cat, because we're in public."

Az smiled. Kitty time. She loved being a kitty, it was wonderful. Kylee knew all about Az, and Azlyn trusted her.

The girl stalked into a small alleyway, and turned into a pretty cat that would sure get the attention of an animal thief. It had smoky gray fur, and pretty black and white littering it's body.

 It had smoky gray fur, and pretty black and white littering it's body

Azlyn crawled out of the alleyway, and chased after the man. She gained on him, and turned in front of the man, causing both of them to skid to a halt. The man barely avoided tripping over Azlyn, and dropping Caden. He stared at the cat/girl, and then a smile spread over his face.

"What a pretty kitty you are."

She decided to make herself seem even more helpless, and meowed loudly, leaning heavily on her front and back right paws, carefully avoiding the back left.  Compassion swam in the man's brown eyes, and he leaned down to get a better look at Azlyn's 'hurt' leg, when the cat leapt over him, and landed straight on his back. In his surprise, the man dropped Caden, and the small dog ran away, supposedly back to Kylee. The man wrestled to get Azlyn off his back, but the she dug her claws deeper into his skin, and he yelped in pain. The cops eventually showed up, it took them awhile, but they showed, and by that time, Azlyn had torn many holes in the man's shirt, and  drew quite a bit of blood from the man's body.

She finally hopped of the man, and strutted away.

Walking back to Kylee, Azlyn first stopped into the alleyway again, and transformed back. Kylee smiled at the girl while holding her dog.

"Whenever you need my help, just call for me." Azlyn reassured.

"What do I say?"

"How about...headphones?" Kylee gave a quick smile.

~End~

Azlyn swallowed hard. Kylee needed her. She stood up so quickly, her legs, previously asleep, collapsed under her, and she had to steady herself. Az look at Jazmine.

"We need to help Kylee! Right now, so meet me outside."

Jazmine nodded, and stood up, making her way outside. 

Azlyn raced out of her room, and practically teleported out of the house, landing in her yard. She waited a while, and Jazmine walked out of the house.

Jaz finally walked out, and Azlyn whistled slightly, but loudly. In a few seconds, a howl was given in response to the small whistle. About a minute later, a small dog trotted up. Sure, it was Ace, and Ace was a wolf, but Jaz didn't know that.

Azlyn approached the small being, and whispered in it's ear. It whined, then huffed, but turned, and ran away. Azlyn quickly dragged a bike out, and practically threw it at Jazmine.

"Follow Ace! He knows the way better than anyone, and can follow Kylee's scent. Let's go!"

Jaz hopped on the bike, and the two teenaged girls followed Ace all over the place, riding past a variety of things. A few abandoned buildings later, Azlyn stopped suddenly, causing Jaz to stop as well, almost throwing her off the bike. Ace sat down, whining, and nuzzled something with his nose. Jaz peered around Azlyn.

It was Kylee.