Chapter 8: The Day Without the Nerd

After a couple blocks, Azlyn and Jazmine walked upon Ashton, ambling along, alone on the sidewalk. The walkway seemed empty without Kylee there to laugh at whatever Ashton's latest corny joke was.

Azlyn and Jazmine walked over to the broken hearted teenaged boy, and Azlyn hugged him.

Then Ashton did something both the girls had never seen, and Azlyn had known him for a while.

Ashton started to sob. Violently. Jazmine stood as Azlyn and Ashton hugged each other. The heterochromic teen smiled a bit, and laughed through her tears.

"I'm pretty sure Kylee wanted you to dress up in a costume. She never told me what you guys were going as. Are you...let me guess...an ass? No, you're that everyday..."

Ashton didn't respond, only continued to cry.

"Hey, remember. You're a douche. Douches don't cry."

Ashton smiled at this, tears trailing down his cheeks.

"Yeah, but, you're the tough girl that promised my Kylee that she never cries, and never would."

Azlyn laughed.

"That was when Kylee was there for me."

Jazmine gave Azlyn and Ashton a few moments, then spoke to the grieving friends.

"Umm...guys? I don't know about you...but I don't want to be late for school."

The two separated, and they all walked to the school.

Everyone was in costume, give or take a few, but everyone looked very sullen, and they fell silent when Azlyn, Ashton, and Jazmine came into view. They parted, and let the group pass.

Azlyn continued to cry, Ashton doing the same as well. Jazmine led them to a corner, where there were almost no people. Students occasionally attempted to approach the grief-filled teens, but one glare from Jazmine sent them packing.

Ashton and Azlyn hugged, and remained that way until the bell. Jazmine continued to keep guard over the grieving people.

A girl stopped next to them.

"Hey, do you guys want to have me get the councillor, or something...?

Jazmine about to reply, but Azlyn beat her to it.

"No, I think we're good.

The girl nodded; she then started to walk into the school.

Hey, Rowan, tell Erica I'll see her in band." Azlyn gave a weak attempt at a small after her statement.

Rowan walked into the school, and the teens followed suite. They only just managed to make it into class on time, and the entire class seemed somber. Every looked at Azlyn like she was glass.

It was going to be a long day.