Chapter Six: The Question of Sanity

Azlyn walked to Kylee, and fell to her knees. She leaned closer to the body of her friend, and  Kylee gave a little cough, as well as a blood-filled smile. It dripped off her teeth, and when she coughed, it sprayed against the brick wall across from them. Azlyn reached up to the top of Kylee's forehead, and swiped away some blood and sweat soaked bangs. Kylee laughed a little, and mumbled, "I hope my hair still looks good. Maybe Ashton will walk by." Azlyn returned her warm smile, but it was laced with worry.

"I still don't know what you are. Have you called the police?" Azlyn asked, realizing the thought hadn't come to her until now. Kylee shook her head weakly.

"Called you first. Help me get this dagger out of my chest." Azlyn smiled.

"I'm gonna call an ambulance first. Jaz'll help you." Azlyn jerked her head towards Jazmine, and then the heterochromic teen pulled out her phone. Jazmine rushed forward to help Kylee, and Azlyn dialed the emergency number. After only two rings, the phone was picked up, and a person spoke from the other line.

"911, how may I help you?"

"My friend, Kylee, was stabbed, and we need an ambulance right now." Azlyn said, holding back the urge to cry. Her friend was dying.

"Okay, what's the address?" The lady asked, and Azlyn sighed, ran her hand through her hair, and started rambling of the address.

"Okay, we'll be there as soon as possible."

The teen nodded, and hung up the phone.

She turned back to the Kylee, and Jaz was attempting to pull the dagger out, but the girl wasn't that strong. Kylee remained slumped against the wall, but had closed her eyes, and remained silent. Azlyn raced back to her dying friend, and attempted to grab the dagger. Kylee grabbed Azlyn's hand, stopping it. Kylee gave another weak, blood-soaked smile, and spoke in an unusually raspy voice. Her sentences came out weirdly, and had many pauses.

"Even.... if...... manage........, not gonna...........help." She took a deep breath, summoned her strength, and was about to speak, but Azlyn cut her off.

"Cease all actions that involve the utilization of vocal cords at your earliest possible convenience."

Kylee smirked, then coughed. "Two things. Never stop being my nerd, k? Look up all those weird words I never understood, like proclivity, and blasphemy, or whatever.

"Don't have to tell me twice."

"And I never got to read that five page paper on hetero-whatever."

"Its heterochromia iridum, actually."

"And," continued Kylee, now slightly smiling, "grant me a last request."

Azlyn stared into her friends crisp blue eyes.

"What do you want?"

Kylee smiled again.

"Change. Be sure....*cough*..... to make it something.......*cough cough*...awesome, too. "

Azlyn gave a weak grin, and changed into Kylee's favorite shape of hers.

A small little puppy took the place of Azlyn, and crawled up onto Kylee's lap.

Azlyn licked her friend's face, and Kylee sighed, petted Azlyn once more, and closed her eyes, letting out all of the air in her lungs

She took in one more breath, and spoke the words they had always joked about.

"Hey, don't forget. *cough cough* You have to send......*cough*.......flower crowns to my funeral. And I....want to be wearing skinny jeans, a beanie, a Dan and Phil jumper, and don't........."

Kylee stopped for a second, took another ragged breath, then continued.

"Don't let them mess up my hair......."

She smiled, let out the last of the strained breath, and didn't take in anymore in. Azlyn's shape wavered, and when she turned to Ace, Azlyn transformed into a pitch black wolf. Tipping her head back, she howled a long deep sound.

It was laced with sorrow, and at that moment, Azlyn didn't feel like worrying about the fact that Jazmine was completely aware of her surroundings, and could see Azlyn the wolf very clearly. Ace walked up to the heart broken girl, and nuzzled her face softly. The pain filled sound echoed, but cut off eventually. Azlyn nuzzled back, and hung her head slowly.

Jazmine stared straight at Azlyn, her eyes wide.

The sound of sirens echoed across the alleyway, and Azlyn's head whipped towards the sound, and finally realizing the situation,  raced into the shadows of the alleyway. After a few seconds, Azlyn walked out again, a girl again.

She ignored Jazmine's questions, and walked up to the officer.

Jazmine watched as the heterochromic teenager talked to the officer, and simultaneously wiped tears from her eyes. 

After Azlyn finished talking to the officer, and Kylee had been put in the ambulance, Azlyn walked to the bike, and stepped onto it. She pushed off, not caring  if Jazmine was behind her.

After reaching her house, Azlyn threw down the bike, and ran into her house. She ran towards the stairs, and did what she always did, run towards the stairs, and transformed into a cat, leaping the stairs two at a time. Azlyn's heterochromic eyes flooded with tears, and she tripped over the last stair, sending her flying into the dresser at the top of the stairs, and as she collided, Azlyn's shoulder popped out of place. The cat disappeared, and was replaced by the heart-broken girl. She hissed, and held back the swear word placed precariously on her tongue. From all of the research Azlyn randomly did, she knew how to pop her shoulder back into  place, and did so now. She winced from the pain now throbbing in her shoulder, but thought she did a good job anyway. Az limped into her room, and slammed the door behind her. She sank to the floor, and curled into the fetal position, tears pouring from her eyes.

Kylee was dead. She would never have another person to scream with when Dan and Phil posted a cute video, or squeal about Johnlock fics. Kylee wouldn't be there to joke about sending flower crowns to Azlyn's funeral, or cuss at her when she stole Kylee's lunch box. Azlyn crawled to her bed, but couldn't bring herself to pull her body up on the bed, so she laid on the carpet, dousing it in her tears. Her arms lay at her side, and she didn't move. 

As she lay limp on the floor of her surprisingly lonely room, Azlyn has one thought.

Will I even be sane without my little Kyles?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~