Chapter 7: Knowing Her Past

Azlyn didn't move until a few loud rings from her phone tore her out of the bliss known as sleep. She crawled to her phone, falling face first when she stumbled over her stack of college textbooks she liked to read occasionally. She reached up to the table, and pulled her phone off. She didn't even bother to look at the caller ID before she answered it.

"Yeah?" She spoke, tired, frustrated, and sad all rolled into a one voice.

"Az? Oh good, I was hoping you'd answer!" Jazmine squealed. "You know, I was having second thoughts about calling you so late, but-"

"Look, Jaz, I appreciate your concern, but-"

"You're always up so late, so I thought to myself, 'If course she'll answer-"

"Jaz, again, I appreciate it, but-"

"If you're wondering how I got your number, your mom gave it to me awhile back. Man, have you seen what my name on your phone is? I took it, also awhile back, and programmed me into it! The name took so long to think of, and-"

"Jazmine!" Azlyn finally rose her voice. She couldn't tell yet. "My best friend just got murdered, I've been sleeping on the floor, and you called me at-" Azlyn glanced at the clock. "-4:37 in the freaking morning. Now: Why the fuck did you wake me up...?"

"Girl, why do you think? I don't want you sulking. We definitely need to talk, considering Kylee just died, and you turned into a dog right in front of me, and a wolf-"

Azlyn coughed to end the sentence.

"You were obviously hallucinating, considering I can't do that. No one can. Now, please do continue to grace me with your explanation about why you are calling me at 4:37, 4:39 now, in the morning."

"Do you not realize that it's Halloween?"

"Considering that Kylee was the one I always celebrated that holiday with, I don't want to do it." Azlyn ran her hands through her bangs, tears threatening to fall, almost touching her cheek. Kylee would never be there celebrate anything with her again.

"Girl, this is my favorite holiday, and I need someone to celebrate with. Congratulations, you're our lucky winner!"

"You are aware that I have no costume, right?"

Jazmine gasped.

"You're lucky I have extras, what are you doing not having a Halloween costume, I mean, seriously-"

Azlyn smiled. "I'm being sarcastic. I mean, you hung out with Kylee all the time. Do you really think I don't have one, Jaz? Kyles made me make one practically on October first. She was always big on Halloween..."

Jazmine squealed into the phone. "Good. Now, come over to change at my house. You can take a shower there too. You know where my house is. My bedroom's on the top floor, and I'll leave a light on."

"I have no choice about this, do I?"

"No, you do not. See you at mine in a few!"

Azlyn groaned, and ran her hands over her face. "Fine."

She then ended the call. Glancing at the screen, she noticed the Caller ID; [Insert Music Here].

Azlyn couldn't help but laugh at Jazmine's chosen name.

She threw the homemade wolf costume into her favorite bag, the one she had made herself, that had 'LOL BYE' imprinted onto it.

Azlyn left a note on the table saying that she was gone to Jazmine's, and her mom and dad shouldn't worry about her. She walked outside, where Ace was stretched out across the grass. He pricked his ears when he heard the teen walking across the lawn. He walked over to the girl, and nuzzled her hand slightly.