Chapter Six

Well, you could guess what kind of mood I was in when I woke up.  My eyes were sore, and I couldn't seem to keep them open.  When I looked into the mirror, they were pink like I had just had a huge cry.  Well, I actually did have a huge cry, but that was hours ago!

When I changed and got downstairs, it was eerily quiet.  Mom, of course, wasn't home, and Dad was still in bed.  I looked down at my hands.  Now that Mom was gone, I felt that heavy burden was lifted from my hands, but I also felt that much more responsibility was on my shoulders. 

I quickly made my lunch, consisting of a simple peanut butter sandwich and some crackers, being quiet so that Dad wouldn't wake up.  I then quickly packed up my books, but before I left, I wrote a note saying:

"Dear Dad,

You were still asleep when I woke up, so I went ahead and left.  I took the truck to school.   Don't worry about me, I'll be fine.  

~Grace".

I picked up the car keys off the table, looked back one last time, and then walked out.

Well, let's just say that I haven't driven in a while.  Dad was always freaked out that I'd get into an accident, so he'd always drive me to school.  There were only a few exceptions in which I'd be able to drive to school.

I found out that I was truly rusty at driving when I backed out of the front driveway.  I immediately crushed Mom's perfect row of flowers, not that I gave a crap about her or anything she owns.  With that thought, I went back and ran over the flowers for good measure.

Through the fifteen minute drive to school, I managed to go through three red lights, run through two stop signs, break five speed limits, and pass up a school bus that was unloading.  I was quite surprised that I wasn't in a jail cell by now.

When I got to Riverson High's campus, I was literally ready to pass out from worry that someone would report me to the police.  For good measure, I covered up the license plates with two cloths.  Then, I ran all the way to the building.  On my way, I accidentally bumped into Jake down the main hallway.

"Hey, Grace," he whispered in my ear as we passed each other.  I could feel some heat going to my cheeks for an unknown reason.  Wait, am I....blushing? I asked myself.

I nearly slapped myself.  No, I would and could NOT like another guy like I had a few years before.  That's a story for next time, I'm not in the mood to explain.

I headed to my locker and packed the books I'd need for my first few periods.  Then, I ran off to class before the bell could ring.

When I came into class, for once, I actually wasn't the last person in.  But, immediately after I walked in, the bell rang.  I rushed to my seat and nearly fell into it.  Mr. Redson eyed me warily, considering giving me a tardy slip, I could tell.

"Grace, just this once I'm letting you slip," Mr. Redson said after a moment of silence.  I nodded vigorously, my clenched up stomach relaxing.

Across the room, Cecelia snickered, and a few of her besties followed her example.  When Mr. Redson turned away, I got beaned by another spitball.  Ugh,not again.... I thought.

I turned my head to the left slightly and spotted Jake.  He actually looked a little bit pissed about how I was the laughingstock of the class.  Huh, how sweet of him to be worried.  But that'll change soon.  I turned away and looked down at my Chemistry book.   Class began.

Well, let's just say that Chemistry was a ton of boring stuff.  Some guy named Jacob Sanders fell asleep right when Mr. Redson asked him a question.  He snored pretty loudly too.