06

// Sophie //

"What?" Frank asked, alarmed.

Gerard began to pace around the room.

"He's gone!" He yelled as he ran his fingers through his bright red hair. "He was getting supplies and the next thing I know, I hear shouts for help."

"Did you not try to help him?"

"Yes! I ran around the diner and saw a truck speeding off."

"What direction was it going in?" Frank asked, clearly trying to stay calm.

Gerard stopped a moment, his eyes clouding over. "Battery City." He whispered.

I nodded slowly, looking over at Frank who seemed defeated as well. We had to go back to BC and try to save Mikey, but that meant me having to go back for the first time in just over a month and I was terrified.

"Get your ray guns." Gerard told us. "We have to go."

"Gerard.." I pleaded.

"Either you want to die or you want to save Mikey," Gerard snapped. I held my breath.

"Fine."

Gerard stormed off and I noticed Frank looking over at me.

"We have to go.." He told me, slowly. "You know that, right?"

"I know.." I whispered. "I'm just scared."

Frank continued packing his bag. He opened his mouth to say something else but instead shook his head and left the room.

***

The drive to Battery City was long and dragged on for hours.

I sat at the back of our battered old truck; Gerard drove and Frank sat next to him.

As the night rushed past, I leaned my head out the window and watched the night sky. It was a deep indigo with a kaleidoscope of stars— something which had been impossible to see in Battery City when I was a child.

The closer we came to arriving at Zone 1, the more the stars began to fade. Frank occasionally turned around to check on me but I didn't speak to him. I was concentrating on what was about to happen.

"We're going to stop for food at Zone 3," Gerard announced. "We'll also be picking up another Rebel on the way."

I nodded, still gazing out the window.

It turned out the Rebel was a girl, which Gerard seemed pretty happy about. I couldn't help but feel a knot of jealousy as we pulled up outside the crumbling building (belonging to the Killjoys of Zone 3), and watched as she came running over to the truck.

"Hey!" She called. Gerard leaned out the truck waving.

"Frank, you sit in the back." Gerard told him. Frank grumbled something but did as he was told, climbing over the seats to sit next to me. I look over at him and he immediately turned away, his face growing red. He had been looking at me.

The girl got into the truck and introduced herself. She was called Grace; her Killjoy name was Toxic Rush and she was going to help us get Mikey and Ray back. I rolled my eyes as she drawled on about all her achievements whilst Gerard nodded along, not really listening.

Eventually, I noticed Frank looking at me again.

"What?" I asked sharply. He shrunk back and I realised I had been too harsh. "Sorry.." I muttered.

We finally arrived at Zone 2; and even though we had originally planned to reach Zone 1 by midnight, had fallen short on doing so. Tiredness overcame Gerard, and he decided that staying overnight in the rundown warehouse, that the Killjoys of Zone 2 had once shared, was ideal.

I grabbed my bag from the trunk of the vehicle and followed the guys inside. Grace frowned at me as I set my things up in the corner.

"Why are you sleeping in this room?" She wrinkled her nose.

"Look, Rookie," I hissed. "You seem to be new to this whole thing. We're Killjoys, not princesses."

She went off sulking to Gerard and I continued to mutter under my breath as I unpacked my stuff. Stupid bitch; stupid, stupid bitch.

Frank came over to me after a while and unpacked his things too. I sighed as I climbed into the makeshift bed and faced the wall. The small room we lay in was pitch black apart from a small source of light from some dull lantern.

"Sophie." Frank whispered. I didn't move.

He waited a moment before continuing. "I know you're awake."

I turned over slowly and looked over at him. He sat on his side, his head propped up by his arm. My stomach did butterflies as he watched me intently.

"Frank.." I whispered. Quietly, I moved closer to where he was laying. Frank gently sat up, moving himself so we were centimetres apart.

"I really, really like you Sophie." He told me, keeping his voice low so that only I could hear him.

My breathing hitched as he moved in closer.

"I really like you too, Frank." I whispered back.

Frank smiled, a real smile; one which made his forehead crease a little and his eyes shine. He was beautiful.

"So," I mused. "Are you going to kiss me or what?"

Frank didn't wait a moment longer. His soft lips were on mine in seconds, as he ran his fingers through my hair. My world melted away; all I could focus on was his lips, his beautiful fucking lips. This kiss. I had waited so long for it.

We pulled away gently. I opened my eyes to see Frank looking sheepishly at me. I giggled lightly and threw myself at him, making him fall back onto the sheets.

I began to kiss him again, our lips moving in harmony as he moved his hands up my back. I sighed as he moved his way down my neck, nibbling at my skin and grinning devilishly  when he found my soft spot.

"Frank.." I moaned gently. He giggled into my hair, pulling me closer to him and kissing me harder. I was in heaven.

Eventually, we finished and lay next to each other. My body buzzed with electricity as my breathing slowed back to normal.

"Frank; I love.." I began quietly but was interrupted by one of Frank's soft snores. I rolled my eyes. What a dork.

The whole of Zone 2 seemed to have fallen silent as I closed my eyes and slept for the first time in hours.