She Could Be Your Mother

“She Could Be Your Mother”

Scene:  Once again cleared, Wry and Earnest are back on patrol.

Wry:  What’d you make of that prowler call?

Earnest:  (Shrugs.)  What’s to make?  It was a call about a prowler.

Wry:  Didn’t anything about it seem kind of strange?

Earnest:  Not really, no.  What, do you mean that Stolls guy?

Wry:  No, he checked out okay.  It’s just....  it seems odd that a prowler or burglar would be doing his thing in the middle of the day.

Earnest:  Why is that odd?  Lots of houses are empty during the day—kids at school, both parents working....

Wry:  Yeah, but not only is the guy easily visible, but if he’s stealing stuff, how does he expect to get away, walk down the street in broad daylight carrying handfuls of jewelry and silver?

Earnest:  I don’t know Pete.  We all know there are ‘dumb crooks’ out there.  Maybe this guy is one of them.

Wry:  (Shakes head.)  No, I think there’s something else going on—something hinky.  Something we’re just not seeing.

Dispatcher:  Lincoln two-four-five, unknown trouble, twenty-four twenty-two Seward Avenue.  At PR request, handle code two.

Earnest:  Lincoln two-four-five, roger.

(Two minutes later Earnest and Wry pull up to the house indicated.  An older woman comes out and requests the patrol car be moved into the driveway, out of sight of the street.  Upon doing so, the officers follow the woman into her home and remove their hats.  She offers them seats.)

Wry:  No, thank you, ma’am, we’ll stand.  I’m Officer Wry and this is Officer Earnest.  And you are...?

Woman:  Oh, I’m Glenda Kravitch.  (Gestures to man in recliner reading newspaper.) That bastion of activity is my husband Avery.

Earnest:  Can you tell us why you called the police, Mrs. Kravitch?

Mrs. Kravitch:  Yes, of course.  It’s my neighbor, Henry Ellsworth.

Mr. Kravitch:  Glenda, for the tenth time, leave it alone!

Mrs. Kravitch:  I will not leave it alone!  You know what’s going on, and you know it’s wrong, and something has to be done about it!

Wry:  Ma’am, please, calm down.  Now tell us, what is this Mr. Ellsworth doing that you think we can help with?

Mrs. Kravitch:  He’s having an affair.  That’s what he’s doing!

Earnest:  An affair?  (Glances at Wry.)  Mrs. Kravitch, we can’t arrest someone for having an affair.

Mr. Kravitch:  See?  I told you.

Mrs. Kravitch:  Are you sure?  When people get married they promise to love only each other.

Wry:  That’s a vow, Mrs. Kravitch, a personal promise.  It’s not a law.

Mrs. Kravitch:  (Draws herself up to full yet diminutive height.)  Well, it should be!  The Ellsworths have been married for almost forty years, and they’ve been our neighbors for eighteen years.  Helen is a good friend of mine, and I don’t want to see her hurt by having her husband getting involved in some sort of hanky-panky.  And in her own home, too!