Warrant

“Warrant”

Scene:  Watch Commander’s office, end of watch.  Wry and Earnest enter empty office.

Earnest:  Fitz didn’t say why he wanted to see us?

Wry:  Nope, he just left word to meet him here.  I hope this doesn’t take long, I’d like to—oh, here he comes, down the hall.

(Sergeant Fitzwilliam and Detective Miller enter the office, closing door behind them.  Fitz takes seat behind his desk, Miller stands.)

Fitz:  Thanks for stopping in.  Detective Miller asked to have a few words with you.

Miller:  Right, thanks, Sergeant.  (To Wry and Earnest.)  About that info you dug up about those apparent prowlers....  turned out to be right on the money.  Detective Washington and I checked, and we identified a guy who’s got a history of luring girls into his car, or otherwise snatching them by force.  Earl Reynolds.  Turns out he got out on parole a couple months ago, and is living and working in the area.

Earnest:  So you think he’s our prowler.

Miller:  (Shrugs.)  On paper he looks good for it—the timing, same MO, the whole deal.  But the icing on the cake is Reynolds’ bunkie from the joint, who obviously doesn’t believe in cell-block solidarity.  He was more than happy to tell us everything he knew, and apparently Reynolds spent his time in prison thinking up better ways to commit his crime of choice—which included finding a likely target and identifying where her bedroom is so he can take her in the middle of the night.

Wry:  (Curses under his breath.)  So, what happens now?

Miller:  We’re having Reynolds tailed and watched while we get our ducks in a row, but we expect to get a search warrant within twenty-four hours.  I wondered if the two of you would want to come along and help execute the warrant.

Wry:  You don’t even have to ask.  (Glances at Fitz.)  As long as it’s cleared by the Watch Commander, of course.

Fitz:  Hey, you broke the case—the two of you—so you’ve earned it.

Earnest:  Truthfully, I’d rather be there with an arrest warrant.

Miller:  (Shrugs.)  If things work out, you just might.  Depending on what we find at Reynolds’ place, the arrest might go down quickly, because once we search, we risk losing the element of surprise.  Once he knows we’re looking at him, he’s likely to rabbit.

Fitz:  Let me know as soon as you get the warrant, and these two are all yours.

Miller:  Will do.  Thanks, guys.  (He leaves the office.)

Fitz:  (To Earnest and Wry.)  Well, it looks like I better find someone to run your patrol tomorrow, just in case.

Wry:  Okay, Fitz.  We’ll see you in the morning.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

                                                                                 To be continued....