two

it's a tuesday today. i'm in the back room as usual, breaking open boxes and unloading them. my hands hurt and i know i'll have blisters by the end of the day.

i blink slowly, trying to chase away the need for sleep. i wonder if she's coming today, if she's going to stop by for something she may have forgotten. i hope she doesn't bring that man. i want her all to myself, but then i remember that i don't even know her. all i know is that her name is ashley. and she's beautiful.

she has long blue hair that's always messy. she wears big sweaters and jeans in the winter. skirts and tight shirts in the summer. i've seen her through all the seasons and she's never not stunning.

i slide the knife over the tape that's holding the box together as i watch the door. then there's pain in my left hand. i look down and there's blood all over my fingers and the box. i clutch my hand to my chest and hurry to the bathroom. 

the lady in the front of the shop calls my name but i ignore it and slam the door behind me, turning on the sink. i watch as my blood blends into the water and swirls down the drain until it's all gone. 

in that time, i never notice that the bell in the front of the store has rung twice, signalling the start of ashley's arrival and her departure.