seven

i got the job.

ashley scheduled an interview for me several days later and i got hired. ever since then, things have been looking up. i get to be around her more, listening to her laugh and talk. the best part was, i could bring maggie into work with me.

'come on, mags!' i exclaim, shaking her leash and opening the front door. I hear her skid on the hardwood floor as she sprints toward me, her tongue hanging out of her mouth. i laugh lightly as i connect her collar to her leash, letting her lead me outside. 

the walk is nice, and i watch as maggie sniffs all the plants and other dogs, panting as she does so. 

when i arrive to the shop, i let maggie loose and let her walk around. instead, she goes to her usual spot behind the counter and lies down on her little bed. 'good morning,' ashley sings from the back of the store as she cleans dirty dog bowls. 

'morning.'

i clock in before heading to work on cleaning the cat litter. it's one of the worst jobs, but it's a job i have to do. maggie leans against my shoulder from behind, inspecting the cats as i clean. 'you're such a big doofus, you know that, mags?' i chuckle, kissing the side of her head. 

'hey, do you want to pick some music to play?' ashley asks, several cd's in her hands. 'sure.'

i get up and follow her into the back room, glancing at all of the options. 'are these yours?' i wonder, running my hands along the collection. she nods. 'yeah. i bring in a lot of my own stuff.'

i just smile and look at all the titles, recognizing several familiar ones. I pick one out and hand it to her. 'lydia,' she says, smiling lightly. she puts it in the speaker system and we wait for the soothing beats to fill the building. 

'i stole your soul,' she sings, looking down at her hands. 

at first i think she's talking to me. but it's the song. i just sigh and look at her beautiful face, the one that brings me so much joy yet so much pain.