five

my hair keeps falling into my eyes as i fill out forms and check stock. 

i put it all up into a bun and avoid the front of the store, along with the door. i tap my foot along to the music playing through the building, the melody echoing through my tired veins. all in all, i just want to go home. if i could quit my job, i would. but i have no where else to go, no other opportunities.

i just sigh and shuffle into the back, pulling out a cart and labeling items. 

'hey, sorry for bothering,' a familiar voice chimes, touching my shoulder. i whip around and come face to face with her. except her hair is pink and her face is thinner than usual. her lips are a deep red and her eyes look more tired than usual.

'you're not bothering me. what can i do for you?' i ask nervously, still holding several packages. 'uh. well first i wanted to apologize for the other day. that guy was an asshole,' ashley apologizes. i just shrug. 'don't worry about it, it wasn't your fault.'

'i know, but that's not the point. you should work somewhere where people respect you,' she counters, moving her head to glance at the other side of the store. 'i wish that was possible. but i don't have many options,' i respond, moving my hand to tuck my hair behind my air before remembering i already have it up.

'why do you say that?'

i just shrug and set the boxes down. 'it's all fine, thank you for caring,' i say, trying to dismiss the conversation. she sighs, looking unsatisfied with my reactions.

'i know it's not my place to say anything. i just think you should get more respect and appreciation for what you do around here. and because i think you're a nice person,' ashley claims, furrowing her brows as she adjusts the hat on her head.

'thank you.'

'um...can i get your name?' she wonders.

'kate. my name's kate,' i tell her, smiling weakly. 'that's a beautiful name. i'm ashley.'

'thank you, yours suits you. thanks for being so kind.'

'you don't need to thank me.'