Chapter 7

Clay walked up to his girlfriend who was wiping away tears that were falling from her eyes and wrapped his arms around her, whispering soothing words to her.

Most of the people cleared the streets, but there were murmurs going around, talking about how Victoria was just disowned by her brother. Rachael stood aside and waited for the couple. Clay walked Victoria back inside then returned to thank his fellow witch.

"Thanks for defending me. I'm sure Gabe would have killed me by now if you hadn't stepped in."

"I don't think anything would have stopped him from killing you," Rachael deadpanned while running her hands through her hair and taking a peek through the bar windows to see Victoria with a few other paranormals crowding and trying to comfort her.

"We've been together for a year now and I haven't met anyone like her. I'd do anything for Victoria, but as you can see, Gabe doesn't see it that way," Clay expressed, "It's sad that he respects the pack laws more than his sister." He shook his head while heaving a frustrated sigh.

"I know. But, unfortunately there's people like that that are out there and there's nothing we can do about them."

"I'm sorry for the things Gabe said about you. He just doesn't understand that love is love no matter the species, race, sex, or shape."

"It's true though," The witch murmured, tilting her head down, "What he said about me..."

"Don't think like that," Clay replied, "You were just vulnerable for a moment, you fell in love. Being in love isn't wrong."

"Of course it's not, but being in love with someone who doesn't love you the same is." She looked over at Clay and gave him a sad grin. "You're lucky, though. I can tell you and Victoria really love each other."

"We do," He grinned, glancing into the bar at her, "We really do."

A moment of silence fell over the two of them before Rachael cleared her throat and said, "Well I'll let you get back to Victoria. If Gabe causes any more trouble, you know where to reach me, okay?" She pat him on the arm and left his side to join her sister's.

"Well that was fun." Sarcasm laced the young witch's voice as she strutted down the street, her sister catching up to her. "You were so brave."

"Oh shut up," The older witch muttered, crossing her arms, "I just can't stand seeing people fight over stupid things."

"Right." Natalie rolled her eyes. "Well, thanks for showing me around, but I think I'm gonna go back to the house now."

"Alright, I think I'm gonna stay back for a little. Can you tell Brendon I'll be back before dark? I mean, I don't think he really cares, but just to be safe."

A smirk crawled onto her face. "You know what? You should stay out as late as you want. I'm sure he won't mind. You're an independent woman, Rach, you don't need to be back home by a certain time anymore." Rachael gave her sister a strange look. "I'm serious, don't worry about it. I'll keep Brendon company for you."

"Are...Are you feeling okay, Nat?"

"Yep, couldn't be better." With that, Natalie snapped her fingers and disappeared into thin air, leaving her sister behind. Rachael heaved a sigh and looked over her shoulder, biting her lip before turning around and continuing down the sidewalk.

*****

Natalie appeared in front of Brendon and Rachael's apartment. She walked up to the front door and opened it, calling out, "Brendon?" No response. Natalie called his name a few more times before discovering a note on the kitchen counter. The note was from Brendon, saying that he hoped the two sisters were having a great time, and that he would be out until midnight helping out Bruno and his pack. "Goddammit," Nat grumbled, crumpling up the note and tossing it over her shoulder.

"It's kind of pathetic that you and your sister are both into the same man."

Natalie spun around and looked around to see the demon appearing to her through the kitchen mirror. Natalie walked over to it and saw the decaying man with yellow eyes peering back at her. "Well I think it's kind of pathetic that you're still attempting this crazy plan."

"How is it coming with the spell?" The demon asked while narrowing his eyes at the witch.

"It's coming, but I'd like to enjoy a few more moments with my sister before destroying her and the rest of New Orleans."

"Please, spend a few more moments with your sister?" The demon rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "You just want to save Brendon."

"He doesn't deserve to go down like she and the others do."

"How so? He's just as selfish and worthless as all the other paranormals in this town."

"I love him."

"You love him. Of course you do. And Patrick loved Rachael, but that didn't stop him from hurting her. Love means nothing, Natalie. Brendon's just as undeserving as anyone, and therefore needs to go down with the rest of them." The witch looked at her fingernails, obviously ignoring the spirit's warning. "Where's the lycan?"

"I heard she went to Texas, Archer City."

"What's in Archer City besides the hunters, or the ones left over?" From this information, he knew nothing good would come out of Kenya's journey. "Call five more of my brothers and send them to Texas. I want that wolf dead."

"That's five more bodies that will go missing," Natalie warned him. "It's one thing to send two or three demons out of town, but five will start to draw attention."

"I don't care if there are questions. You can wipe their memories. Kenya is my main priority," He stressed to the Supreme's daughter, "Kill her and the rest of this town is defenseless."

"The town is defenseless as it is. She's missing, she's gone. We'll deal with her when she comes back. Let's do what we want to while she's not here."

"You deal with her while she's alone," He commanded, "Then I want this spell to be completed by the next full moon. We had a deal, witch. You complete the spell and I spare you, so you do whatever is necessary to protect our deal."

She scoffed. "You're so demanding."

"Well this would be easier if I was in control," He muttered.

"Well I'm not a pussy like Patrick is. I know better than to let you take over."

The demon huffed before disappearing out of Natalie's sight. The witch stood and walked back to the door, knowing it was time to go look for her next victims.