Chapter 22

Jack walked through the front door of Bruno's cabin and called out for him, receiving no answer. Unlike his sister, this man was orderly. Last time Kenya was gone, this home was a wreck. But since she'd been awake, Bruno had been more at ease. However, there was still an apparent tension between them.

"Bruno, you home?" Jack questioned while moving through the home, occasionally spotting a few pictures of his sister and Bruno holding each other. A few of the photographs contained Bruno and his large family still in Puerto Rico, and then there were images of Anthony, Kenya, and Bruno together.

Jack wished he had something like that. Family, friends, but then again, what price would he have to pay to have what the three wolves in the photo had?

Anthony had a wife and a kid, but he was dead. And Bruno had a large family and Kenya, yet he had problems with Kenya, and Bruno hadn't seen his relatives in years. As for Kenya...well, Jack's sister was so deep in her secrets, paranoia, lies, and regret that she couldn't find it in herself to stay or keep her family. Now that he thought about it, Jack didn't envy his sister, he pitied her. She had it all - power, loyalty, position, but at the same time, it all seemed unreal for her.

The lycan heaved a deep sigh while thinking of what he did to her, what he agreed to do to her. He shouldn't have gone along with Bruno's idea of wipe her memory. Just thinking about it caused a knot to form in his stomach. What he did was unforgivable and he knew that when or if she found out, she'd hate him forever.

Maybe I could tell her before she finds out, Jack thought to himself, But would she believe me? If she did, would she hate me for it?

He couldn't lose her. She was his sister, the only family member he knew about. The last one he met killed him.

Would she kill me if I told her the truth? No...Kenya wouldn't do something so cold. Would she?

His sister was cruel, cold blooded, and she was known to kill. Not lately, she'd changed since she woke up. But he hasn't really spoken to her since the attack in town with the vampires, and when he did, something seemed off with her.

A ruffling of the trees outside stole Jack's attention. He went to the back door and saw a black wolf approaching the house, Bruno. He left it open and waited for him inside.

What was I going to say to him? How can I get him to agree to the demands of the other leaders?

As he approached the house and Jack, Bruno shifted back into his human form, changing into his normal attire. Jack tapped his foot nervously while waiting, and finally he appeared. With one look at his mate's twin, he frowned. "What are you doing here, Jack?" He inquired bluntly, adjusting the shirt on his back and not even bothering to meet his gaze before he brushed past him and into his house.

Jack turned around and followed after him. "I was actually wondering if we could talk."

"What do you and I have to talk about?" He ripped open the refrigerator and pulled out a pitcher of water, completely forgetting to retrieve a cup before drinking the liquid straight from the container.

The lycan swallowed the lump in his throat and rubbed the back of his neck nervously before replying, "Well I'm sure you've heard about the treaty Kenya wants us to make."

"Oh yes," He retorted, annoyance lacing his tone, "Every faction leader has."

Jack clasped his hands behind his back and took a few steps toward Bruno. "Well I heard that you wanted something in return for signing it."

A smirk crawled onto the beta-turned-alpha's face. "Yeah? And?"

"There's gotta be something else, Bruno," He tried to convince his superior, the room growing ten times warmer and the air growing thinner, "Patrick and Rachael and the rest of the vampires have lives here; you can't just ask them to pack up and leave."