Chapter 21

The screams of a, no, two newborns ran through Jack's dreams. He woke up in the middle of the forest, with a single road cutting through it. In the center of the road was a basket. From the basket came the shrill screams of babies, bringing Jack over. Inside were twins. They were precious, opening their tiny brown eyes and reaching out their little hands for him.

The pair were wrapped in separate cloths, one being pale blue and the other a light, cotton candy shade of pink. Jack looked around, wondering why two innocent beings would be left there in the center of the forest. He gave the children a second look and their eyes glowed a bright yellow - they were wolf pups. He lifted the two out of the basket and brought them close to his chest, allowing them to get warm.

The girl tucked her head into Jack's neck and drifted off to sleep, but the young boy looked around and and continued to cry. He swayed back and forth while walking to the side of the road, hoping the boy would calm down due to his soothing motions, but as he made my way further down the path, the baby screamed louder.

Then, suddenly, he stopped, his eyes locking over Jack's shoulder at something. The lycan gazed in his direction and noticed a wolf and a black dog with beady red eyes growling at him, eying the twins in my arms. His first instinct was to do what he always did - run. Jack tucked the boy into his chest and took off, away from the path. He had to protect the kids from the two beasts charging after him.

Jack ran straight through the trees, avoiding low hanging branches and sharp edges and watching for logs that would trip him. Both mutts were growling and barking after him, but he wouldn't stop until four more black dogs appeared out of the woods, blocking his path. Not too soon after, two more wolves appeared and formed a circle around Jack and the pups. He knew that if he showed any sign of resistance or fleeing, he'd be dead. So Jack lowered himself down slowly, showing his submission, yet at the same time not demonstrating any sign of relinquishing the children. The first black dog to chase him stepped up; he could tell that she was the pup's mother as she circled around them, only stopping snarling to sniff at the twins.

After she knew that the kids were alright, she turned around and barked to her fellow species. They barked back, as if they were communicating. Then the strangest thing happened, the black dogs turned on the wolves and began attacking them.

Jack's eyes widened in horror and he pressed the pups closer to him, blocking their view of the awful murders occurring around them. When it was all over and the father wolf he assumed was dead, the mother turned to him and stared him in the eyes. In that moment, somehow Jack knew she wasn't just protecting the newborns who had both started crying again, but she was protecting him too.

Why me? He thought. She was those pups' mother, not his.

Maybe she could be, though... No, it wasn't not possible. Jack searched for her relentlessly and she was nowhere to be found...this couldn't be her.

But then again, she wasn't attacking him. Instead, she'd sat down on her hind legs and was staring at him, her eyes trying to tell him something that he couldn't decipher.

Jack glanced down at the pair of twins who were small enough to be held on a single arm in front of him. He noticed that both were identical in darker skin color, and they had a similar birthmark that he recognized. Wait, it was his.

Was this Kenya and I?

*****

"Wake up, Jack!" He heard, his eyes popping open to see three vampires standing over me. He easily recognized Pete, the one standing near the head of the bed he was lying in. The other two that he'd only seen before, but never talked to or knew anything about, stood at the foot. "We've got stuff to do today."