19th Birthday Drama

Today was EJ's 19th birthday and Kristy and I were busy with planning out every detail. EJ had be demanding us not to throw him a 'stupid' party, of course we are going to throw him an AWESOME party. Technically we are not going against his word. I laughed thinking about it, it amazed me that I am dating a nineteen year old and I am just barley seventeen. well actually not even seventeen yet.

     "Katerina, I can't hang this streamer," Kristy called to me, looking as if any moment she'd fall off the ladder she was presently standing on. "Coming," I called, abandoning the project I was working on. Kristy climbed down the ladder and I climbed up, thumb tacking the streamer, I climbed back down. "Thanks," she said, smiling big. I laughed and said, "EJ is going to kill us." Smirking, Kristy replied, "I don't care, he can suck up his gut and deal with the matter that in two more years he is legal to drink." I arched an eyebrow, but did not comment further.

     I finally managed to get a big moniter thing to read Happy Birthday, EJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It would read in different colored letters every time it made it around. "Got it," I called out to Mr. Knight. He came running from upstairs and said, "Nice job, Katerina!" I smirked, jumping a little. Together EJ's dad and I hung it up. I plugged it in and watched the letters go around and around. I unplugged it and looked around the room. We had literally turned the Knight's household into a makeshift nightclub. I smiled, feeling accomplished, not going to be able to wait til 7 o' clock tonight for EJ to see all our hard work, even though it was not finished yet.

     Many things still had to be set up and we set to work finishing them. We were through with the whole project by 5 o'clock, leaving two hours for me to drive home and change.

     I went upstairs and changed into a bluw mini dress, with knee lenght high heeled boots, and left my hair down to tumble in their curls. I added a few touches of make-up here and there. I was completed with my changing at 6:30 and I got to the house with 5 minutes to spare. We were literally going to jump out and surprise EJ.

     I laughed and went to go hide behind the couch. Olivia flipped off the lights and everything went into an eery silence. I heard the sound of a car driving up the pathway and the sound of rowdy boys descending the stairs. "Dude, why's it dark?" said Tyler, one of EJ's friends. "Man, I dunno," EJ's musical voice replied, and then the lights were flipped on. In an union we all stood up and screamed, "SURPRISE!" EJ looked generally shocked and I ran up to him. "Do you like it?" I asked, the bubbliness uncontainable.

     He took me in a kiss and said, "I absolutly adore it." Then the party started.

     I stayed attached to EJ's hip the duration of the party, though one part he was whisked away from me by some of his friends and I was left to dance with Elena and Grace. It was awesome the music was pumping and I was having a fantastic time! "Where's EJ?" yelled Elena over the thumping of the music. "I don't know, his friends stole him from me," I yelled back. Elena was smirking and she said, "You better hope he doesn't get all the fun tonight" I laughed and Elena hip bumped me.

     I looked around and then spotted EJ heading up the stairs, "I'm going to follow him." Without another word I made my way behind EJ and up the stairs. I followed him til he went into an unused room that happened to have a doorway leading out onto a balcony. Smiling, I followed him out onto it. "Why are you following me?" EJ questioned, not once turning his attention towards me. I was confused, "Did you want to be alone, I'm sorry." EJ flipped around, his green eyes boring into mine and he said, "Katerina, I understand you are going to leave me for someone else! You are young you want someone better than me; why don't you just go off to Jason!"

     The words stung like a hot pan and I replied, "EJ, I only love you, I won't leave you!" I could smell the alchol on his breath. "Yes you will," he turned back to gaze out into the horizon, no clouds hung in the sky tonight, only the beauty of the stars shone. Tears were welling in my eyes and I said, "But, EJ, I will not leave you. I will be your little dove for the rest of our lives!" I reached out to gently touch his arm and he jerked away. "I don't believe you, you just want to use me, then throw me away."

     "EJ we've been together almost five years, I haven't talked once about leaving you," I notice the hint of plea in my own voice. His gaze locked on mine for a second before he said, "I will end this now, before you tear my heart away. We are through Katerina, I will not be your play toy." With that being said, he took a step around me, walking back through the house.

     I sank to the ground, tears falling from my face. I had never once used EJ, he was no play toy of mine. I would never cheat on him and now he has left my heart with the sharks. I wrapped my arms around my knees and began to sob. I love EJ and even if he is under the influence of alchol, I didn't know if EJ would take me back. I hadn't noticed the clouds until I felt the first splashes of rain hit my head. I was hurt, pain over took me. "Katerina, hun, where are you?" I heard Elena's voice calling for me, but it sounded from far away.

     I felt arms wrap around me and Elena said, "What's wrong?" Words could not process in my brain, Elena helped me up, bringing me to into the house. "Kat, talk to me, tell me what happened," Elena forcefully said. "EJ...broke..up with me..fo..for..no..re..ason," I said, stumbling over my words. Elena looked shocked, then she shook her head, "Katerina, he is drunk, he doesn't know what he is saying. Give it a day or two."

     I shook my head, wanting to believe the words, but I couldn't help believe the evil voice in my head denying Elena's words. "I wanna go," I told her, wiping my face. She nodded wrapping her arm around my shoulder. We walked down the stairs, I saw EJ in the midst of the crowd, we held each others eyes and then he glanced away. We made it through the crowd and headed back into the rain. Elena led me to my car, giving her a hug, I swung myself inside.

     I took in a breath, which hurt. Starting the car I, drove off to my house. I held the tears back, and held my head high. I pulled into my driveway and walked into the house. "Honey, you're back from the party early, is everything all right?" my mom said, as I stepped into the kitchen. "I don't want to talk about it at the moment," I said. I stalked off, leaving my mom without answers and myself in more pain. Under the influence of beer is not what I suspected, EJ looked me straight in the eye, no haziness, nothing for me to determine the incident to be truth.

     My phone buzzed in my pocket, I pulled it out to see that it was Grace, biting my lip, I flipped my phone open. "Hey, Katerina, Elena won't tell me where you went or why." I shook my head, of course Elena was good at keeping secrets. Sitting on my bed Ashlee ran over to me and I eagrly pet her, "Sorry, Grace, I err, needed to get out of that party." Her voice was full of confusion as she asked, "Didn't you spend like the whole day doing it though?" I nodded at an invisable her and said, "Yeah, I don't want to talk about it at the moment."

     "Oh, okay, tell me later, okay?"

     "Yeah, sure," I replied, hanging up the phone. I threw it across the floor and felt the tears stream down my face again. I gently moved Ashlee off my lap and fell onto my pillow. I fell asleep to unsettling dreams and tears staining my face.