Golden Kid's Problems | Never a Dream

Charlie Chester had just finished her morning coffee and now was slowly waggling in her big leather chair

Charlie Chester had just finished her morning coffee and now was slowly waggling in her big leather chair. She was one of a thousand PR managers who were every day painting a perfect image of a client. There were plenty of stars in the big city, and even more journalists, ready to sell their souls for a good headline. At that moment, a bright web-page with a huge line "Ricky Noble: golden kid's problems" was blinking on the monitor before Charlie's eyes.

Of all the actors and singers in the world, Charlie was only trusted with a schoolboy who happened to have overambitious parents. And a week before his first movie hit the theatres, that kid spilled his guts in an interview, saying, "I don't care about the press. Mom says they're just a bunch of losers."

If this child had at least one percent of brain activity, he would've thought before speaking. Charlie was twisting a lock of her coal-black hair on a finger. Now she was the one left to deal with it. She bit her lip, took the phone, and dialed the editorial office.

"Daily Digest," a male voice responded. "Carl Taylor speaking."

"Good morning." Charlie took a pencil and started drawing flourishes in her notebook. "It's Charlotte Chester, Ricky Noble's agent."

"Oh, I see, it's about the interview."

It was like he'd been expecting this call. Charlie felt adrenaline rising in her blood. She was in full control of the situation.

"Exactly. Are you aware that all the clients of DannieStar Promotions, with no exceptions, want their interviews to be approved before printing?"

"There is nothing in there that needs approval." In other words, this Carl Taylor decided to plead not guilty. "However, if you insist, we could discuss it over lunch."

Who did he think he was? First, he was writing those cheap scribbles and now he was trying to ask her out? Before answering, Charlie took a second to check out his profile on the website. Taylor looked awfully handsome, about thirty, maybe less. She could even agree to meet him... Damn.

"No. No lunches. Taylor, you must remove the interview, now."

"Fine, boss." He laughed, then hung up.

Charlie felt as strong as if she had just fought off a tiger. Those were the moments she loved about her job: yelling at an over-weened journalist, giving some pointers to a client... The phone rang again, ready to ruin Charlie's little victory.

"What is this bugger trying to do now? Crap all around the opening night?" Ricky's manager was almost shouting. "Have you seen their page?"

"Yes, I took care of it."

"Well, you should've gotten him penalized! Who the hell is he, anyway? Wannabe writer?!"

Charlie nodded. This part of her job, when the managers were allowed to yell at her, was far from her favorite. Her big brown eyes were peering at the dock of her computer as she started feeling that she was nothing but another cog in a huge industry mechanism.