Doughnuts and Parachutes | Never a Dream

Charlie was feeling great

Charlie was feeling great. She had done everything her boss had asked, and everything else was all right, too. She was heading towards Charles Dickens as the annoying void inside made her feel hungry. She pushed the door and was about to enter when some jerk with fiery eyes and messy hair bumped into her. He didn't even say sorry, just looked at her lewdly, hiding his eyes behind sunglasses.

'Isn't he disgusting,' Charlie thought. 'Some people find it easier to get wasted in the morning than to go and actually work.'

This little mishap gave her food for reflection for a whole two minutes. She thought how ill-bred people can be sometimes as she kept moving past the tables and chairs.

She sat at the counter and noticed an unfinished four-letter word scratched on it. She was not in the mood to attract the bartender's attention to it, so she covered the letters with a menu.

"What will you have?" John asked with his familiar husky voice.

"Cinnamon coffee and...something to eat..." Right, beer was not food after all. Charlie laid an eye on the pastry tray and picked a doughnut glazed in white chocolate. "This one!"

"Good choice, dear." John smiled at her easily.

While the bartender was busy with her order, Charlie looked around the pub. In the corner, there was some guy covered in cigarette ashes. He was trying to dust it off, and the waitress wasn't much help, considering that her breasts stole all of the suit's attention. What a sad-sack! The smell of cinnamon wafted up with the steam from the hot coffee.

"For you, lady." John smirked and then went to greet a newbie. Charlie was left alone, face to face with her own thoughts.

She had lately started feeling like thoughts were her only company. Of course, she did have friends, although she hadn't seen much of them since she'd moved in with her boyfriend.

She did have Nigel, but he kind of had his papers. Together they could make a great family. And instead of kids, they could be raising their bank account. For a second there, Charlie imagined, what would it be like to spend all her life working 'till six o'clock on the line with editors, and having two-day weekends, along with a constant salary. And after that? Sipping cocktails in a lounge while Nigel is playing golf? Charlie had two important questions stuck in her mind: what were her personal goals, and what happened to all her friends? She'd had a hell of a crew in the university. They sure knew how to make some noise. And then she met Nigel, and he alone took all her attention. Now she had no one to talk to, except for Sarah.

If she kept on like this, she might as well end up with a headstone saying, "Charlotte Soledad Chester. Lived for Nigel. Died of the blue devils."

Charlie poked the doughnut with her fingernail. The glaze broke, but the doughnut lifted back up. She poked it harder. Charlotte wasn't gonna give up in favor of the pastry. However, the roll was just as stubborn.