Chapter 8: Don't....Be....Dead

Few days had past since that day and you had to get away from London for awhile. You drove to the little cottage your parents used to rent from when you were younger and would vacation there in the summer break.

You knew the man who rented the cottage real well, he even kept it under your name and didn't charge you a thing.

"Thanks Steven, for letting me stay here." You said to him.

"No problem...but I must ask....after all this time what's brought you here?" He asked you.

You move your gaze away from him and hold back a sob. Steven gives you a concerned look and asked. "What's the matter?" You look back at him as new tears fall down on your face and you said. "I just needed to get away from London....I lost someone very close to me."
And you start to cry again and Steven comes up to you and gives you a hug, comforting you.

A few days later, You make your way back to London and went to the funeral. There you see Lestrade, Molly, your aunt and John and some people you figured was from his homless network. You didn't see Mycroft which you didn't expect him to show up anyway.

After all that, you couldn't bring yourself to go to the burial and you went back to the cottage.

A couple of days later, you decided to go to a flower shop and buy a single red rose and drove to the graveyard. As you approach the graveyard, You see your aunt, who was carrying a bunch of flowers, and John coming out of a taxi.

You walk out as they look over at you. The three of you stare at each other for a moment before you run towards them and hug John, who hugs you back. Your aunt then wraps an arm around you two and hugs the both of you as well while you and your aunt try to avoid smashing the flowers you two brought.

Finally the three of you make it towards the black marbled headstone and your aunt places the flowers at the base of the headstone. "There's all the stuff, all the science equipment. I left it all in boxes. I don't know what needs doing. I thought I'd take it to a school." Your aunt said and then she looks over at you and John and said. "Would you two...?"  

"I can't go back to the flat again--not at the moment." John replied.

You look over at your aunt and said. "I'll be back tomorrow, Aunt Martha....I'll look through it." You aunt, who goes and stands between you two, takes yours and John's arm, sympathetically.

"I'm angry." John said as he takes a deep breath through his nose. You nod in agreement, trying not to break down. Mrs Hudson pats your arm, gently.

"It's okay, you two. There's nothing unusual in that. That's the way he made everyone feel. All the marks on my table; and the noise--firing guns at half past one in the morning! Bloody specimens in my fridge. Imagine--keeping bodies where there's food! And the fighting! Drove me up the wall with all his carrying-on!" Your aunt said as he voice starts to break.

"Yeah, listen: I'm not actually that angry, okay?" John said as he turns to her as you give a small smile at this.

"Okay. I'll leave you two alone to, erm....you know." She said and she walks away.

You and John stare at each other for a moment then stare back at the headstone. You walk over to it and place the rose on top of the headstone. You step back a little and get down on your knees, staring at the headstone.
John walks next to you and places a hand on your shoulder and you spoke up. "You....you told me once you weren't a hero." You said to the headstone.

"There were times I didn't even think you were human." John said and you chuckle at this, he smiles down at you.

You take a deep breath and said. "But let us tell you this: you were the best man, and the most human....human being that we've ever known." John nods in agreement.

"And no one will ever convince us that you told us a lie." John said and then he lets out a breath and whimpers slightly.

"I was so alone, and I owe you so much." John said as he approaches the headstone and places his fingertips on top of it.

"Same here." You reply and John turns and starts to walk away but stops, turns around and raised his head, coming to attention in front of his friend and nods in salute to him.

You get up on your feet and mimick John's action and salute to the headstone as well then turn to John and give him the permission to dismiss.

John nods at you and gives you a small smile, walks up to you and gives you a big hug which you return. "I'll give you two some privacy." John said and he walks away.

You turn back to the headstone and hold back tears. "There's one more thing, love, one more thing: one more miracle for me and for John. Don't.....be....dead. Would you do....? Just for me, just stop it. Stop this." You said as your voice breaks. Tears were falling down your face and you used your sleeve to wipe them away.

You walk up to the headstone and raised your right hand fingertips to your lips and then moved those fingertips right on his name of the headstone. "I'll always love you. Always have and always will. Nobody will replace you." You said and after taking a moment of silence, you finally walk away and head towards your car.

Little did you and John know, some distance away under a tree and obscured from view by other headstones, Sherlock Holmes watches you walk across the graveyard until you climb into the car and drive off. He looks around reflective for a moment then turns and walks away.