Chapter Two

By the time school was over, Avery had pieced together the identity of the victim—Beatrice Thompson. Future valedictorian Beatrice Thompson. The most perfect girl in school, murdered—and during school hours, no less. This was, by far, the biggest news ever to hit Woodsview High.

She was going to have to hustle for this story. According to all the great journalists, there was one thing about reporting real news that sucked, Avery had read. Immediately after something significant happened, the lines between fact and fiction blurred. Everyone had a theory. Everyone had what they considered "important information." Everyone was sure that their information was right. And people lied, claiming that they had inside information when all they really had was a knack for lying with a poker face.

Avery expected no less from her classmates and their wily imaginations. And as it turned out, her fellow students delivered.

One girl in Avery's A.P. English class swore up and down that the dead girl was a teacher's assistant who had overdosed on some drug. Avery did a quick fact check and discovered that Mrs. Bremmer's T.A. was alive and kicking.

Another student said that they'd heard it was the librarian, who'd grown tired of students returning their books so late.

It was only when Avery heard Beatrice's best friend asking if anyone had seen her did Avery put the pieces together.

Figuring out the victim's identity was half of the battle, right? Now that she had figured out who the victim was, Avery's head was swimming with possible topics for the school blog. She could talk opportunity, location, motive. Or perhaps a moving account of Beatrice's life. So many possibilities. What a wonderful time to be alive in journalism!

Of course, Avery was quick to remind herself that this wasn't some television special. This was real life. And though Beatrice hadn't exactly been a friend, she was a person with family and friends who loved her...probably. Okay, she was super annoying, but someone had to like her, right? And who disliked Beatrice enough to kill her?

Avery was itching for information. There was only one person that she trusted enough to give her true information, even though it would be a tad awkward. Finally she convinced herself it would be worth it. Every great journalist did whatever it took to get the story. Even if it included calling her ex.

At least I have an excuse, Avery thought. She'd spent all of ten seconds debating before she called Jason. This would be strictly business, no need to feel nervous. It had nothing to do with dating or kissing or broken hearts. Not when there was a murderer on the loose.

Besides, she reminded herself, we're still friends. I can call a friend, can't I?

Butterflies didn't have time to flutter about in her stomach. Jason picked up on the second ring. His familiar and casual greeting was enough to make Avery's knees week. It was a good thing she was sitting down.

"Hey," Jason said.

"Hi," Avery replied, suddenly feeling shy.

Since Jason was in the police cadet program, she figured he'd have access to inside information—at least more than Avery could gather on her own. Once she knew what Jason knew, she could get a basis for a theory. As of right now, Avery wasn't sure what to make of everything. All she knew was that she had one dead body, several whispers about what happened, and zero cold hard facts about what had happened. If anyone knew something, they hadn't come forward yet.

"Is everything okay over there?" Jason asked. "I've heard some crazy things this afternoon,"

"I was hoping that you could answer that for me. What the hell's going on?"