18 Unsolved Cases (unsolved crimes)

1. The Grimes Sisters
Barbara, 15, and Patricia, 13, went to see the Elvis movie Love Me Tender in Chicago in December 1956, but never came home — launching one of the biggest missing persons cases in Chicago history (even Elvis himself pleaded for their return). Their naked, lifeless bodies were found a month later on the side of a road, presumed to have been thrown out of a car.

2. The Death of Ricky McCormick
In June 1999, 41-year-old McCormick's body was found in a field in Missouri. He was reported missing for only 72 hours, but his body suggested he'd died much earlier. Then in 2011, the FBI revealed two cryptic notes in his handwriting had been found in his pockets, which was creepy because McCormick was practically illiterate, and only knew how to write his own name.

3. Betsy Aardsma
In November 1969, the 22-year-old student was in the Pattee Library of Penn State when she was stabbed once in the chest. There was so little blood that no one was aware she'd been stabbed until she arrived at the hospital. Forty-seven years later, police are still actively taking any information on the case.

4. The Tylenol Murders
In 1982, someone went around to stores in the Chicago area and replaced the powder in Tylenol with cyanide. Seven people died. They never found who did it. Incidentally, this is the reason why we now have tamper-resistant packaging on medications.

5. Who Put Bella in the Wych Elm?
In April 1943, a group of boys found a skull in a tree in Hagley Wood, Worcestershire, England, leading to the discovery of a skeleton that'd been decomposing for a year and a half. Soon after, graffiti appeared nearby reading, "WHO PUT BELLA IN THE WITCH ELM." The woman is still unidentified and her cause of death unknown.

6. The Yogurt Shop Murders
Before midnight on December 6, 1991, firefighters responded to a blaze at a yogurt shop in Austin. The bodies of four women were found burned inside, in a pile and gagged. It's assumed they were dead before the fire started. Police thought they found the culprits, but in 2009 the suspects were released for lack of evidence.

7. Walker County Jane Doe
In 1980, a girl was seen by two different gas station attendants in Texas who say she was asking for directions to a nearby prison to visit a friend. She was later found murdered miles away, lying face down, and was unidentified. Her picture was shown to everyone at the prison, but no one recognized her.

8. Atlas Vampire.
In 1932, a female sex worker was found in Stockholm after being dead three days, with her skull crushed in, signs of sexual activity, and a ladle near the bed. Her blood was almost completely drained, and the ladle was suspected to be the drinking apparatus of the unknown murderer. .

9. The Doodler Murders
Up to 14 gay men were believed to have been murdered by "The Doodler" in the mid-'70s. He'd meet victims, sketch them, and then kill them. The case remains unsolved due to the homophobia of the time, and potential leads who wouldn't appear in court due to the fear of being outed.

10. Amanda Tusing
Tusing both went missing and was found on the same night in June 2000. She left her fiancée for the night to see her parents, but never arrived at her destination. She was found in a ditch filled with rainwater, without signs of struggle or sexual assault, and her keys were in the ignition.

11. Colonial Parkway Murders
A serial killer took the lives of at least eight people near the Colonial Parkway of Virginia in the late '80s. It started with the discovery of the bodies of Rebecca Ann Dowski and Cathleen Thomas, a couple out for a night at a spot called Lover's Lane, and numerous other couples were found as well, marking a pattern. No one knows who the Colonial Parkway Murderer was.

12. Houston Ice Box Murders
In 1965, the body parts of Fred and Edwina Rogers were found inside their refrigerator, wrapped neatly on the shelves. Police believe their son, Charles, committed the crime. He hasn’t been seen since the incident.

WARNING: THIS STORY INCLUDES GRAPHIC CONTENT.
13. Oaklahoma Girl Scout Murders
In 1977, three young girls were found in their tent at Girl Scout Camp, raped and strangled. The counselors were sleeping just yards away. A local jail escapee was arrested for the case, but the court ended up releasing him for lack of evidence.

14. Walker Family Murders
In December 1959, two parents and their two kids were found brutally slaughtered in their home in Osprey, Florida. There have been 587 suspects to date, including a serial killer named Emmett Monroe Spencer who confessed to the crimes, but his claims were pushed aside by authorities because he was a "pathological liar."

15. Jeannette DePalma
In Springfield, New Jersey, in 1972, a 16-year-old girl went missing until weeks later, a dog brought back her right forearm to its master. Several witnesses have claimed her body was found surrounded by occult objects and on top of a pentagram, but authorities have denied those claims.

16. Bear Brook Murders/The Allenstown Four
The decomposing, beaten bodies of four unidentified murder victims were found in trash bags in 1985 and 2011 in Bear Brook State Park in New Hampshire. Today, police still do not know the names of the victims or the person who killed them.

17. St. Louis Jane Doe
WARNING: THIS STORY INCLUDES GRAPHIC CONTENT.
(If you don't respond well to graphic content then please skip.)
In February 1983, an approximately 8-year-old African-American girl was raped and beheaded, and her body was found in an abandoned apartment building days later. Her head was never found, and neither were the people who did this to her. Even worse, it's been over 30 years and we still don't know who she was.

WARNING: THIS STORY INCLUDES GRAPHIC CONTENT.
18. The Murder of Arlis Perry
Perry was a student at Stanford when one night in October 1974, she got into a small argument with her husband, and the next morning she was found in a church, lying near the altar with an ice pick in her head, partially nude, having been molested with a candlestick. Her husband and the security guard who found her have both been named innocent.

(Source: buzzfeed.com)