Talia Al Ghul.

There's something up with Cas and Jason wants to slap himself for not noticing it earlier.

At first, it was just catching things that could've been explained as Jason being paranoid and reading into it too much. Then, it got weirder.

He'd spot Cas staring at him (which, wasn't that strange, too be fair) and occasionally jotting stuff down in a pocket notebook. He'd even overhead a few phone calls and Jason's Arabic, though a little rusty, was good enough to know that Cas was talking about him.

This would go on for a few weeks and then Cas would disappear for a couple of days. Then, the cycle continued.

Enough was enough and Jason wants answers, but confronting Cas is more difficult than he anticipated.

Every time that he got close, Cas would vanish.

After several failed attempts, it's time to call in backup.

"Hey, Dean," Jason says, as (un)casually as he could manage, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"Hey, Jace," Dean returns, rooting around through the fridge.

Jason has a tiny moment of panic. How is he going to work this into a conversation? Why didn't he think of anything to say beforehand? Why is he such an unprepared idiot?

"So," he begins, already hating how awkward he sounded, "have you noticed anything weird with Cas?"

Dean stops, peering around the fridge door. "No. Why?"

"I'm sure it's nothing," Jason mutters. "It's just..."

"Gut feeling?"

"Yeah," he says. "He just seems kinda off. Y'know?"

-

"Hey, Cas," Jason says, peeking out from behind the doorframe. "Can you help me get this book? I can't reach it."

"Of course." Jason grins and disappears. Cas gets up and follows after him. He leads Cas down the corridor, talking animatedly about the book he wanted. They reach the room and Jason quickly steps away from him.

"Now!"

Dean emerges from behind a bookshelf and drops a lit match – a ring of flames rise up around Cas.

"What- Dean, what are you doing?"

"Relax, Cas," Dean sighs. "We just want some answers. Jay?"

Dean steps to the side to let Jason take over. "Why have you been acting so weirdly? You've been keeping tabs on me and I wanna know why."

Cas hesitates. "I'd have told you immediately, but Talia advised against it."

"Talia?" Jason says, frowning. "As in Talia Al Ghul? What has she got to do with this?"

He recalls meeting her once – Before – but what did she... Ra's.

"Her father," Jason mumbles, more to himself than anything. "The Lazarus Pit. It's why I keep seeing green."

Cas nods. "He allowed you to use it, but in return, I was to give them updates on your progress. Talia seems to be quite fond of you."

"Then why didn't she want me to know?"

"She was concerned that you would relapse."

"Can- Can I see her?"

"I don't know," says Cas. "Knowing is one thing, but seeing her? I'll- I'll ask but I wouldn't be too hopeful."

Jason nods and turns to Dean, gesturing for him to put out the fire. Dean grabs the bucket of water he had by his feet and empties it over the floor.