Chapter 5

Chapter Five- Ten Months Ago

            “So what happened?” my dad asked, jumping from his seat in the living room, just as my mom and I entered.

            “She’s pregnant,” my mom told him in a monotonous tone.

            “Oh Brittany,” my dad said, pulling me in for a hug. “I’m so sorry baby.”

            “Why are you sorry dad? It’s my fault,” I told him, letting go. “I’m sorry for letting you down.”

            “Brittany, there is nothing you could ever do to let me down.”

            “Not even this?”

            “Not even this,” he confirmed, kissing my forehead. “I’m just sorry that you won’t be able to do everything you ever wanted.”

            “Britt?” I heard my sister say from behind me. “What happened?”

            “She’s pregnant,” my mom repeated to her.

            “Brittany?” she said in disbelief, quickly walking to my side.

            I looked at her and nodded just before I started crying. She pulled me in for a hug and suddenly she began to cry with me.

            “I’m so sorry,” Jessica said.

            “Why is everyone sorry?” I asked, pulling away from Jess and wiping my tears away. “It’s nobody’s fault but mine. It’s my fault Damien and I got carried away.”

            “Brittany, honey,” my dad sighed, holding me in his arms and trying to comfort me. “We’re just sorry that you have to go through this and that you can’t do everything you wanted to do.”

            Before I could reply the phone rang and my mom went to answer it.  The rest of us just stood frozen in place.  My dad held onto me, just like he did when I was little, while Jessica looked at us. 

            “So what are you going to do?” Jessica asked me.

            “I don’t know, what am I supposed to do? I’m sixteen years old and I’m pregnant. Gosh how cliché does that sound?” I said scoffing, “Sixteen and pregnant.”

            “Well the first thing is, do you plan on keeping the baby?” she questioned.

            “I don’t know,” I cried.  I knew that I couldn’t get an abortion, but I didn’t know what I was going to do with the baby.  I didn’t have the mental capacity to figure anything out about the baby. 

             “Okay, so when will you tell Damien that you are pregnant?”

            “I don’t know.”

           “Well you’re going to have to tell him eventually; don’t you think he would notice you getting pregnant?”

            “I guess but, I don’t think I can.”

            “Brittany, you have to,” my dad cut in, pulling back from me. “He is the father right?”

            “Of course he is.  What kind of person do you think I am daddy?”