Chapter 7

Chapter 7

            “Hi,” I said awkwardly looking from Damien to his parents then to mine.  “Mr. and Mrs. Williams.”

            “Hello Brittany, how are you doing?”  Mr. Williams greeted, looking at me and Hayley, whose arms were wrapped around my neck.

            “I’m doing fine, and you?” I asked skeptically, holding Hayley tighter in my grip.  She let out a small murmur, distracting the Williams family.  I could tell they were all interested in what Hayley looked like, but there was no way I was going to let them see her just yet. 

            “I am well,” he replied as I tried to reposition Hayley in my arms in an effort to hide her. 

            “Well, Brittany, why don’t you put Hayley in her crib and then come out to join us,” my mom hinted after a long moment of silence and staring.

            “Sure,” I said to my mom as I left the room.

            I went into the nursery, where I placed Hayley, who was still fast asleep, into her crib before going to my room.

            “What the hell?”  I hissed at my mom when she closed the door to my room.  “What are they doing here?”

            “They came to talk about Hayley,” my mom explained.

            “Well why didn’t they call?”

            “Damien’s dad called yesterday to tell me that they were coming over but he didn’t tell me that Damien was coming as well.”  I didn’t understand why it took them three months to come and talk to us and why I couldn’t be part of the conversation. 

            “Is that why you held an intervention and asked Ella to take me and Hayley out?  So that they wouldn’t see Hayley?”

            “Well that and I needed you out so we could all, as adults, talk,” she told me calmly, countering my anger and disbelief. 

            “Well that’s stupid; you guys were talking about me and my daughter,” I whisper-shouted at her, pointing towards the door that led to the nursery.  “I should have been here too.”

            “Brittany, honey, it was time for you to stop lying around anyways.  Plus I knew that they were going to say things that would upset you.”

            “Well what did they say?”

            “Alice?” my dad said, entering my room before my mom can answer.  “Zach and Scarlett would like to talk to Brittany.”

            “Why?” my mom asked.

            “They would like to talk to her about the agreement.”

            “No.  They will not,” she objected.  “I know my daughter and I would like to talk to her myself.”

            “Alice, they are insisting, they want to make sure Brittany understands why they made their decision.”

            “James, Brittany will be angry with the agreement, so I would rather tell her.”

            “Please Alice, Brittany can handle herself,” my dad reasoned.  “She is old enough to speak for herself, which is why I thought it would be wrong not to have her here today.  Brittany is Hayley’s mother and everything that involves Hayley is her decision.  Brittany’s name is on the birth certificate and only Brittany.”