Chapter 6

Chapter Six

            The next day, I ran into class just as the bell rang.  I slipped into my seat unnoticed, but as I opened my notebook I heard a loud audible ring from my phone, turning Mr. Ford's attention to me.

            "Ms. Walsh, you are in class now, please silent your phone."

            "I'm sorry Mr. Ford," I said, embarrassed.  As he turned away, I checked the text to make sure it wasn't my mom.

            Are you okay? It said.  I looked up at Ella expressionlessly, who gave me a concerned look, before I turned my phone on silent.

            I gave her, what I thought, was an assuring look, but she didn't look convinced.  Luckily, Mr. Ford started the lecture before she could walk over and ask me what was wrong.

            After what seemed like forever, the bell rang, dismissing us to nutrition.  Ella walked up to me as I slowly put my things away.

            "Why so slow?  Usually you're rushing me out of class to go see Damien."

            The sound of his name almost pushed me over the edge.  I had spent almost all of yesterday crying over what had happened with Damien.  Luckily, with Hayley at my grandma's with my parents, I was free to cry until I had to put myself together and drive to my grandma's for dinner, where I explained the situation to my family over grandma's homemade apple pie.

            As I put the last of my things away, I got up out of my seat and walked out of class with Ella in tow.  "So how was your weekend?" I asked her as we walked to her locker.

            "It was fine," she said.  "So are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

            "Nothing," I told her, trying to hold my tears back.

            "Really? Because it looks like something is wrong.  Did something happen with Damien during your birthday dinner?"

            "No, the dinner was fine-- it was amazing actually.  He gave me this necklace," I told her showing her the small silver heart necklace I hadn't taken off since Damien had given me.

            "Oh my god, Brittany, this is so beautiful!!" she exclaimed.  "So what else happened?"

            "Well we had sex," I shrugged.

            "What?!" Ella shrieked as we reached her locker, causing everyone around us to turn to see what was going on.

            "Ya," I confirmed quietly.  "And then he stayed the night."

            "He did?  Britt, you guys used protection right?" she said seriously.

            "Ya, the first time," I told her before she cut me off.

            "The first time?  How many times did you guys have sex last night?"

            "Well once last night and then again in the morning, but I'm on the pill so it's okay."

            "He stayed over?"

            "Yup."  I really wasn’t in the mood to talk, but knowing my best friend; she would continue to grill me for details until she was certain I wasn’t holding anything back. 

            "Wow, so what happened with him yesterday?"

            "How do you it's him I'm upset about?"