Chapter 1

Bruce Wayne's Pov
Im dumb. I am so dumb. How could I have been so dumb? Harleen was still alive and I saw her... I kissed her but I was so dumb to even realize it. Harleen Quinzel was Harley Quinn. How could I have not seen this? Their names sound exactly the same. If I had known it was her the night I kissed her as Harley Quinn I could have convinced her to come back. I could have helped her and we could have been together forever. But alas, she had gone psycho all because of the psychotic Joker. I had a deep hatred for the Joker and even though Harley was so crazy I still was in love for her. If anyone besides Alfred knew that I would be done. I would be an outcast.

"Would you like some more coffee?" Alfred asked me pulling me out of my thoughts.
I was sitting at the kitchen counter when a half eaten pancake sitting in front of me and an empty cup of coffee.
"Yes please," I replied.
He filled the coffee mug and I took a sip.
"What are you thinking about?" Alfred asked sitting down beside me.
"Nothing," I replied standing my pancake with my fork.
"Oh alright," Alfred replied sarcastically.

"I'm going to go out into town," I said taking the last bit of my pancake.
"Are you sure?" Alfred said, "Those crazy people are running around everywhere...and you know who-"
"I'll be fine," I said putting my plate in the sink. "I'm Batman."
Alfred gasped sarcastically and then we both laughed.

I went outside and got into one of my cars. I drove off into the city. The only other people there were cops and construction workers. They were still rebuilding from when that freak, Enchantress, almost destroyed the whole city.

I drove slowly on the street examining all of the abandoned shops. The city hadn't been full of happy smiling faces like it had always been. People now lived in more fear than they had before. It was so sad.

Suddenly I came upon a group of guys. They were surrounding a girl who looked very young, maybe college age. They had cornered her and were saying something, I just couldn't make it out. I pulled up closer trying not to be noticed. There were about eight guys surrounding her. The girl had dirty blonde hair and wore black leggings and a blue shirt. One of the guys was stroking her hair. She had a scared look on her face.
"Stop," I heard her say, "get away from me please."

I opened the car door and approached the guy that was touching her.
"Hey," I said, "leave her alone."
"Don't tell me what to do," the guy replied, "you're just jealous because you can't get some of her...we found her first."
"Leave me alone," she said pushing one of the guys away.
"She said to get away from her," I said, "she's obviously not interested...I can see why."
Then the girl kicked another guy in the shin.
"You whore!" The guy I had been talking to said to the girl.
Those idiots were dumb, didn't they know there were a bunch of cops of over here.
"Hey," I said, "leave her alone."
"Fight me man," the guy replied.
"Alright," I said. "Take a punch...I'm sure these cops won't mind, I bet they also won't mind how you're harassing this girl."
All of the men in the group just stood there and stared at me.
"Hey hey man," the guy said, "no hard feelings? Come on guys."
The group walked away and down the sidewalk as fast as they could.

"Thank you," the girl said once the group of guys were very far away. "Who knows what would have happened if you didn't show up."
"You're welcome," I said. "I'm Bruce Wayne."
I put my hand out towards her.
"I'm Barbara Gordon," she replied shaking my hand. "I better be going now...I've got places to be...wait a minute. You look just like...never mind."
"Ever thought about fighting crime?" I asked her.
"It's been my dream," she said, "ever since I was little...especially alongside Batman. He is so amazing and he makes the city of Gotham a better place."
"Well maybe we could talk about that sometime," I said, "noting like a date...no way...but I would like to talk about how you're interested in that. It might not be soon...I've been in a bit of a pickle lately."
"Oh yes," she said handing my number. "That would be interesting...I guess your interested in the Batman was well?"
"Something like that," I replied.
"Well," she said, "give me a call whenever you're ready."
She turned around and started walking away.

I got back into my car and drove down the road looking for any shops that could be open. Finally I came upon an old abandoned warehouse. I think they used to make cotton clothing or something there. There was a man sitting beside the entrance holding onto his leg and he looked as if he was in pain. I stopped the car and got out. I ran towards him.
"Are you alright sir?" I asked him.
"I think I broke my leg," he said.
"What happened?" I asked.
"I tripped and landed on it weird," he replied.
"What should I do?" I asked. "Should I call an ambulance for you?"
"No," he said quietly. "You know what I need you to do? You must do it..."
"What?" I asked. "What is it?"
"Don't scream," he said, "do not scream or you die."
And before I could run away and go home, the doors to the warehouse opened. Two men grabbed me by the arms and bound my hands together. Then they put dictate over my mouth, blind folded me, and sipped something over my head. I couldn't see a thing. I felt completely blind.