4 | monster laws

" yoomi. wear these. " jungkook says, handing me an eye mask and ear plugs.

" umm.... why? " i ask while putting on the eye mask.

" because... you might be able to see things from the future. if you see it, you can change the future into the opposite. we can't risk that. you need to wear these over your ears because you will hear many high-pitched screeches if you're not a monster. it's like when you are fast-forwarding a movie with the volume all the way up... but it's way higher pitched. your head will have a very sharp pain, but it will immediately go away when we get there. i know you'll want to scream, but contain it as much as you can. the pain will become worse if you don't. now, close your eyes underneath that mask, and look down." he says.

this is so freaking complicated. cant i just go and take a nap?

he places his hands on my shoulders then mumbles something in some sort of foreign language, maybe monster language.

i then hear very light screeches, like he described. my head suddenly get's struck with a very sharp pain. mother trucker dude, it hurts like a buttcheek on a stick. i hold in my scream the best i can. then it disappears. i fall to the ground.

" yoomi? are you alright? " jungkook asks as he takes out my ear plugs.

i take off my eye mask.

" huh? actually no. that freaking sucked butt. " i say, then hold my head.

" haha! i've been locked in that closet for such a long time. i miss this place. " he says.

man, he asks me so many questions but doesnt even listen to my answer. i hate him.

" what? " i ask.

" well, when us monsters turn 15, we are given our acquaintance. at 16, we leave our families and our homes that are here, then live in a closet. until we find a way to leave the closet and meet that person, we can't go back here. we can only pay 3 visits back home after that. this is the first." he says.

" that must suck.. so you were stuck in my closet for about... "

" 3 years. "

" dang, youre better at math than me, too. but that means... you're older than me? by a bit more than a year. gosh dangit. "

" you don't need to use honorifics. " he says.

" dont worry, i wasnt planning to. "

he sighs, taking my hand and dragging me to a castle.

" this is where my family lives. my mom is the niece of the king of the monster world. she broke a rule and married her acquaintance so my 'dad' was killed and my mom is locked in a pretty small room inside of this castle. the king forced her to have children because her second born was supposed to be the next king which happens to be me. so i dont really know my actual dad... my brother and i both were a bit cursed though with human stomachs and stuff but it doesnt matter much. but anway, that's where i grew up with my older brother. my older brother is with his acquaintance and has already used his 3 visits... mom can never leave the room, but my brother and i can. "

" wow. im sorry. " i say, hooking my arm with his.

" mom! " he says when we walk into the room.

" jungkook-ah? you're here? " a little lady pops out behind a door.

" is this your acquaintance? she's very pretty! " she says, shaking hands with me after hugging him.

" thanks.. my name is yoomi. you look so young for someone with two sons. " i say, bowing to her.