14 | the call

" im so nervous..... " jungkook mumbles.

we were in the taxi to the airport.

" why? it will be fine! we will have lots of fun. "

" okay okay... a meerkat does sound pretty cool. "

i cringe at his words.

" so hows it like being a queen? " he whispers, wiggling his eyebrows weirdly.

" i dont really know... its pretty chill, to be honest. "

it was silent, then i noticed that i became queen just because i left my closet door open. i wonder... why did my mom not want us to leave our closet doors open? has she ever experienced having a monster?

i decided to call her, telling her that i am going to america. i know i dont like her because shes a bad mom, but im not that bad of a daughter.

or at least i try not to be.

i pick up my phone and go through my contacts and click on my mom's name.

" mom? "

" yoomi? are you okay? why are you actually calling me? are you on drugs? have you been drinking? "

wow, i take back what i said about being a good daughter.

" no mom... im fine. 1"

" oh thats good. so why did you call? "

" just a heads up... im going to america with jungkook right now. im headed to the airport. "

" with that boyfriend of yours?! yoomi i told you-- "

" i wanted to also ask... why are you so paranoid about the closet doors? "

" because monsters are terrible creatures and all i want is for my children to be safe. "

" mom, im fine. i can protect myself. "

" jungkook is a monster, isnt he? and hes not just a monster... hes now a monster king. "

" how did you... "

" being the monster queen is very dangerous. "

" what makes you say that? i have jungkook to keep me safe."

" he will betray you. monsters are terrible. "

" mom, please just explain. i want to understand. "

" i was supposed to be the monster queen when my aquaintance betrayed me for someone else. i was just like you. i was mad at my family for having such stupid superstitions so i just left it open one night. "

" really? "

" i really fell in love with my acquaintance too. but he moved on so i moved on. and then life was not on my side and your father died. "

" mom, it will be different. jungkook is different, i promise you. ill be fine. "

" just be careful, baby. and have fun on your trip! take tons of pictures for me. i love you! "

then she hung up.

" your mom... she... the rumor is true! your mom was supposed to be the monster queen. a rumor went around that the monster queen before you was some psycho girl who blackmailed the king into marrying her or something. but i dont know. " jungkook says.

" really? thats... weird. "

he nods, then we pay the driver, get our things, then get into the airport, flying away into america. after tons of hard work and boring hours, of course.