Chapter 6: Remember

(A/N: I apologize in advance if these chapters get a little wordy. I'm a detail person and I like to write in detail, it's my curse in life. Also, I apologize if it feels a little slow, there's a lot to build up but the good parts are coming!)

 "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Amanda asked cautiously, glancing over her shoulder every other second.

Aiden glared at the empty space in front of him and scowled as he deepened his concentration. "This's practically a shack, Mandy. People only use it during hunting season. It's summer. So, yeah, I'm sure this is a good idea," he paused and looked back at her terrified, nervous, and shaking fingers, "Look, it's this or sleeping in a tent. Which do you prefer?"

"Whatever keeps us from being labeled as thieves or trespassers!" Amanda squeaked, then clamped a hand over her mouth just in case someone could hear them even though they were deep in the woods.

Aiden rolled his eyes and focused on breaking the lock with the bent paper clips. "We're teenagers, we're supposed to defy all the laws..." he waited for Amanda to register his sarcastic comment, but got nothing out of her. "Hey, at least we can say that Dad would be proud of us. Breaking all the rules and possibly ruining someone else's lives just for our own selfish needs...I believe this calls for a cheesy, sitcom hug and an emotionless audience 'awwing' on command."

Aiden snorted at his own joke, but Amanda didn't find it as amusing. "Stop being so cynical, Aiden! You didn't even know him."

Click

Aiden straightened and turned the knob, slowly pushing the door open. He stood up completely and turned to Amanda, easily towering over her. "It's not like you did, either. Maybe, just this once, you could realize that not everyone is a deep, sensitive, emotional soul deep down. Some people are just born to be evil, to kill, lie, cheat, and...hurt those they love."

Silence fell upon them. Aiden turned his back to her and led the way into the hunting cabin, taking one last glance behind her. In the pale moonlight, she saw her brother's toned shoulders blades from under his shirt and his blonde hair curled at the nape of his neck perfectly highlighted by the enchanting moonlight.

"I refuse to believe that." She muttered and followed their normal routine.

Aiden was in charge of making sure no one was home while Amanda set to clearing out space for them to "set camp" for the night. She used to help him clear the house, but after a sneaky inhabitant lunged and punched her in the nose, he refused her help.

It was quiet, perhaps Aiden was right this once. She sighed and pulled her hair into a messy bun on the back of her neck with the hair tie on her wrist. Aiden was very thorough, their way of life forced him to be, and Amanda was grateful for that.

Rummaging through her personal bag, she pulled out an empty makeup compact and flipped it open to see her face reflected in the small mirror. Wild strands of straight, long honey-colored hair framed the side of her face and she curled her lip in disgust at her sweaty and dirty demeanor.

Her lips, small and thin, looked dry and chapped and, for the ninth time that week, she regretted never going back for her tube of chapstick after dropping it after an emergency check-out from a sleazy motel. Her skin had darkened a slight shade after spending so many grueling hours in the sun, but her delicate skin was still a creamy porcelain, the polar opposite of her twin brother. She always envied his ability to tan in any natural light.

With one thin finger, she poked and prodded at the dark circles underneath her bright-blue, doe-like eyes and pouted. She hadn't been sleeping well for weeks now, ever since around the end of June. She felt uneasy and anxious, but for what, she didn't know. Night after night after night, it's been the same dream.