CHAPTER 15

No matter what he was doing, Eric could always feel the weight of the secret pressing down on him. On the surface, everything seemed normal. In the last few days since discovering the letter, he'd gone to his work, interviewed people, focused on clues and now a voyage to another State just for the contentment of his heart. Along the road, it hadn't been all perfect and smooth sailing. The images of collapse have occupied his time. Fear of not achieving his goal was ubiquitous even in his dreams. It has blurred around the edges of his objective.

Oddly enough, he's in the last place on earth that he wanted to be at. As he boarded the plane until his arrival at the hotel, Eric was unable to keep his memories locked away. Every now and then, at odd times, it all came back to him with visceral force. It even made him dried up due to constant flow of tears. It took him decades before he was able to move forward. Regrettably, the memoirs continued to linger in his mind.

Under normal circumstances, Eric probably would have appreciated the view like this. In Cincinnati, the river was plain open water, but here, it was just the opposite. Even with the layers of marine haze and some State ferries, he could clearly see the numerous private boats docked at the port. It gave him the ambiance of nature with mountain trek view and the grandiose horizon of the marina.

The Bremerton waterfront area remained the busiest in the city. More shops were installed than the last time Eric been here. From restaurants, souvenir shops to fishing equipment shops, the Bremerton waterfront area has them all. As he expected, he wouldn't miss RR's Restaurant. There is a huge sign advertising its presence over the area. It was hard to miss this place and is the most obvious choice for anyone visiting Bremerton.

RR's Restaurant is located in the new Harborside Development. It's adjacent to the Kitsap Conference Center where it overlooks the Bremerton Marina and hosts spectacular, sweeping views of Sinclair Inlet, the Bremerton ferry, Naval ships and local boating activities. Dedicated to giving the guests a truly Northwest dining experience, RR's has earned the reputation for the finest fresh seafood, perfectly prepared and expertly served with an uncompromising commitment to quality and value.

Eric stepped out of the car. Even meters away, Eric could already notice the stream of people going in and out of the RR's. He walked at a snail's pace towards RR's and reminisced the grandeur of the restaurant. Years have gone by and the restaurant continued to bring the name into a whole new world. RR's remained the same as before except for the second level, which was added. The design of wall-glass remained, where aside for the view of Sinclair Inlet and the marina, the Mount Rainier would also be visible on a clear day.

He removed his sunglasses and pushed through the door. The first thing that caught Eric's attention as he enters the restaurant was the table where they sat the last time he visited the place. His thoughts drifted to such incident. He was filled with joy back then. A kid thrilled for a rainbow of seafood curry to stuff his stomach. Memory of such incident remained vivid in Eric's mind. A man in a white shirt and rugged pants playing the piano suddenly approached them and asked for his mother's information. Unknowingly, it was the start of the darkest nights in their family, which led to the separation of their family and his mother leaving them behind.

Fatefully, due to the number of diners, it's the only table available. Eric stood fiddling with his sunglasses, when one of the waitresses ambled out from the second floor. In her early thirties or so, she was tall and reed-thin, with a sunny, open face.

After making himself comfortable on the chair facing the bar along the back wall of the establishment, he observed that the elegance of the interior design of the restaurant was preserved. If there was an upgrade aside from the addition of the second floor was the funky yet straight out of the trendiest of magazines of their bar.

Eric's eyes surveyed the restaurant again from his right until the left corner. He, however, failed to see the person he was looking for. Eric shifted in his seat, thinking the person he was looking for could probably not around. Realizing that the waitress was waiting for his order, he glanced back at the menu. Eric observed her name tag read LEA. He thought about asking her about Melody or Miriam but he hesitated.

"Can I get you something to drink?"

"Do you have cappuccino?" He ventured.

"Yes. Would it be Frappe or Hot?"

Eric smiled. "Hot please."

"How about something to eat?"

"Actually, I was wondering if Melody was around."

"Oh, she's in the back." Lea said, brightening. "Want me to get her?"

"If you wouldn't mind."

She smiled. "No problem at all."

Eric watched her head toward the kitchen and pushed through the swinging doors. A moment later, a woman in a white chef's attire from coat to pants having the color black to its buttons. She was short and stout, with long blonde hair, and she looked to be the same age as Eric. Pausing at the table, she broke a smile.

"Well," she said, drawing out the word into two syllables, "my companion said that you're looking for me. You know me?"

Eric blinked. "Yes... I mean no." He clarified.

"Why are you then looking for me?" She asked.

Eric was confused. He was so sure that she would be here since he heard the unforgettable voice on the other end of the call. "Ah... Are you the only Melody working here?"

"Yes!"

Eric's high hope of meeting her again crashed. This is not what he had imagined. He thought of the scene several times. It would be a staggering meeting and with a twist of awkwardness. He had contemplated on a different brand of silence.

"But the owner of this restaurant is also named Melody." Before Eric could even respond, "She, however, is not around." She added.

"Was she also the one answering the restaurant's phone calls?"

"Sometimes, she does. Would you like to leave a note in case she would return?"

Eric brushed his dark hair out of his eyes and signaled the chef to decline. It would be better, Eric thought, he would meet her without prior notice. It would just be a give and go. He would only be giving the book and that's it.

"Do you know what time she would be around tomorrow?" Eric wanted to make sure that he would get the right timing. He hesitated to ask for the address since he is not from the area.

"Well, I'm not sure. She's busy lately preparing for her big day."

Eric recollected that her birthday is fast approaching. It would be another reason for him not to stay longer in Bremerton. He does not want any connections to starting linking again. He wanted to concentrate on his goal of going there and leave at once.

After he consumed his order and is about to leave, a familiar face appeared at the entrance. He was stunned by what he saw. He was frozen than ice. He was already resolve that the encounter would happen the following day yet like his previous visits at Bremerton unexpected things happened.