Chapter Seven - Kanyakumari

CHAPTER SEVEN

Kanyakumari

When Bala was four years old and Ajay was thirteen, the family decided to holiday at Kanyakumari, on the very tip of South India. The family was sad, however, because dear old Granny would not be with them.

They all had breakfast in the patio before leaving on their trip.

“I’m really sorry that old Granny won’t be coming with us,” said Ajay.

“Don’t be sorry for dear old Granny, Ajay,” assured Syamala, “Your Aunt Kamala in California has an estate in Bel Air and a pool the size of this garden. You were just a baby when we took you to see her.”

“Yes, Ajay,” affirmed Trishul, “I wish that you had gone with your Granny. You were invited, you know, and swimming in the pool would have done wonders for your legs. I still don’t understand your reluctance.”

Jaya dropped his napkin on the table. “Well, it just so happens that I considered these projects I’m working on with the Professor to be very important, that’s all. It’s my life, isn’t it?”

Ajay, who was becoming increasing willful, abruptly wheeled away form the table and went into the house, calling for Aswin.

“Aswin! Please take me upstairs, will you?”

Trishul looked surprised. “I think we all need this holiday, Syamala, what do you think?”

“I simply don’t understand his change of attitude. Ajay seems withdraw and angry. Honey. I really think it’s the influence of that man across the alley, the Professor, and when we return I’m going to insist that Ajay find another tutor or attend special education classes.”

Shaking his head slowly Trishul said that it would not be so easy at this point. “The boy seems to be quite attached to the Professor and they’ve been working together now for four years.”

Bala slipped out of her chair and ran inside the house.

Now it was time to pack the Amby. As Trishul roped the wheelchair on to the luggage rack, Aswin packed the boot with the luggage and Adiamma placed hampers of food above the back seat. By driving slowly and seeing all the interesting sights along the way, they would and arrive at their destination in the evening of the third day. Reservations has been made earlier at a sort of 31/2 star hotel.

Bala was very excited and had been jumping all around since early morning.

“Oh dear, where is my Jay, Jay, Mummy? He is ver-ry late again.”

“Aren’t you excited, Bala?” her Mother asked. “We’re going to have such a nice time! Your very first trip always from home, honey!”

“Are we going to be driving over mountains, Papa?” asked Bala.

“Well, the Western Ghats are medium-sized mountains.”

“Ghar?” questioned Bala.

Ajay came down the stairs in Aswin’s arms. “Did you pack my stuff, Aswin? Are you sure? Okay, I’ll see you when we get back.”

“We are going to see a Ghat, Jay, Jay, did you know?”

Aswin carried Ajay out of the house and placed him on the front seat.

“The Western Ghats are very important, Bala, because of the medicinal plants which grow there. The tribals have been using these plants for centuries. Papa, did you know that the Kani tribe has received a patent on one of their own plants?”

“No, I didn’t know that. Snatched it away from the multi nationals did they?”

“Yes, Sir. Those tribals found an anti-fatigue drug. They just chew a few of the leaves and they can race straight up the mountain without any trouble. Maybe I’ll be able to do that some day.”