Chapter Sixteen - Cloned Rats

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Cloned Rats

“Well, Crocodile Granny, and how did you sleep last night?” asked Trishul, the morning after their return from the adventure holiday in Mangalore.

“Very well, son,” smiled Granny, toothlessly, having lost her false teeth altogether during her ordeal. “I’m glad you didn’t discard Ajay’s wheelchair. By the way, Trishul, the surgeon said that my blue jeans may have saved my legs from being severed completely.”

“Thank the Lord for, that” her son said. “I’ll never tease you again about wearing jeans.”

Simba Kitty jumped up into Granny’s lap and began purring loudly.

“And here’s my dear kitty. You would have protected old Granny from the nasty crocodile, wouldn’t you, precious?”

Simba purred even louder, if that was possible.

“Bala did a pretty good job of that, Granny,’’ said Ajay, smiling.

“Did you know that Bala saw two of those boys from the Brotherhood of Rational Thinkers. I think they were sent by the Professor to hurt our Bala.”

“Why would anyone want to hurt a loving, sweet little girl?”

“There’s been animosity between them since the very beginning.”

“Yes, I suppose there has. She always knew that he was a ‘bad man’.”

“Even as a baby she had better discrimination that I have now,” laughed Ajay. “Imagine what would have happened to all of us if we had gone out on a raft with those fellows.”

Bala came skipping out into the garden for breakfast. The flame tree, which was in bloom, sprinkled blossoms in her path.

“I think that we should declare war on the Professor; what do you think, Bala?” asked Ajay.

“I already have. You want to join my army?” Bala giggled, and grabbed Simba Kitty and waltzed around the terrace. “Good morning, Papa, and dear old Granny.” She ran to her Granny’s side and squeezed her cheeks together and gave her a kiss.

“Sure, why not? We have a pretty good idea of his whereabouts. I think we should get rid of that chocolate factory once and for all. There must be a drug laboratory there,’’ said Ajay with enthusiasm.

“Yes, and send him and all of his sons to the nether world,” added Bala delightfully doing a few karate moves, ending on a high kick.

“He doesn’t have any sons, Bala.”

“Well, they’re like his sons, aren’t they? Could I have a dosa, Adiamma, please?”

“I’ll fix a very crispy one for you, dear.”

“Hey, wait a minute, Adiamma, looks like you’ve got a black eye!”

“Walked into a door last night?”

Trishul got up from the table. “Don’t do anything foolish, you two. Call me at my office if you decide to act.”

“Okay, Papa.”

“And you, too, Miss Commander-in-Chief.” Trishul pushed Granny and Simba Kitty into the house, leaving Ajay and Bala alone.

“Bala, please tell me who you are.”

“I’m your little sister, of course; and Karate black belt.”

“No, you’re not. You’re a Goddess, or something. Maybe you’re a good witch.”