Yvonne Lawrence.

Yvonne Lawrence

“Ivy’s a good kid. So I really don’t know why I’m here.” I laughed awkwardly.

The detective looked at me then cleared her throat. “Listen. I do not want to be here and I bet you don’t either. So let’s get this over with ok?”

“Sure.”

“Where was Ivy on the 29th of December?”

“She was um… Well what day was that?” I ask.

“It was a Thursday.”

“Alright. I am not exactly sure. Truth be told.”  I swallowed hard.

The detective wrote something down.

“Do you know a Jay Carter, Miss. Lawrence?”

“Um, Yes.” I cleared my throat. “I used to date him.”

“Until he stared dating Ivy Lawrence correct?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“What the hell is this?” I barked.

Ivy gave me a questioning look. She left the room and returned without her toothbrush. 

“What exactly am I looking at?” She reached towards her phone.

“The long list of these text messages must say something Ivy.” I snapped.

“Why the hell were you looking my phone?” She snatched the phone from me.

“Why the hell were you screwing my boyfriend?”

She hesitated. “He’s your ex-boyfriend.”

“You slept with him?” I whispered. “You slept with him.” I said a little louder.

“Come on Yvonne. Give me a break.” She folded her arms.

“Give you a break? You fucked my boyfriend!”

“So she wasn’t up for the best sister of the year. But she was always there for me and even her friends. She even shed a tear when I left for college.”

The detective nodded her head. “Has she ever done something like that to her friends?”

“Not that I know of.” I replied.

The detective nodded.

“Have you met Darlene?”

“Yeah.” I nodded. “Briefly though, it was at some party. I had heard about her before. She was hoeing her way up the social ladder.”

The detective wrote something down. 

I was just waiting for her to whip out her handcuffs and tell me my rights.

“Alright Miss. Lawrence, that would be all for today.”

For today?

“Uh OK.” I got up out of my seat.

Ivy and Nevaeh were waiting outside for me.

“Who else are they going to question?” Ivy groaned.

“I don’t know.” I say. “But if you guys had something to do with it just give it up now.” I say sternly looking at Nevaeh and back at Ivy.

“It was just a prank.” Ivy shrugged.

“We didn’t plan for this to happen.”   Nevaeh says.

“You mean to tell me this is one of your stupid little pranks?” I say almost at the top of my lungs.

“Quiet down Yvonne!” Ivy harshly whispers at me. She heads for her car. “Like Nevaeh told you we didn’t know this would happen.”

“I can’t believe you guys.” I mumble.

“Get over yourself.” Ivy says then she tosses the keys to me. “Take us to school will you.”

I rolled my eyes as I got in the car and turned on the engine.

“So whose prank was this?” I say exiting the parking lot.

“Mine.” Ivy says. “But it kind of backfired a bit as you can see.”

Isn’t that an understatement.

“Aww how cute.”  Ivy says looking at her phone. She lets out a little laugh. “Whose idea was this?” She turned to show Nevaeh. 

“I got it too. Game over right?”

‘Right.” Ivy says sitting back in her seat. “I bet its Darlene, just messing with us.” She laughed.

“You have a cruel, sick mind.” I say to her.

She sighed. “Yvonne please lighten up.”  

I pulled the car into her school. “Stay out of trouble girls.”

They both got out the car. “Don’t we always?”