Chapter 6

Chapter Six

I felt groggy, what the hell happened?! I could feel the steady grate of a horse but when I opened my eyes I shut them again quickly. My head still hurt along with my back but I didn’t feel any serious injury. I did notice that my knives were gone, I was going to be hard pressed to get myself out of this one.

The arm holding me tightened.

“I know your awake,” he stated.

I opened my eyes to look at him, “Aye no thanks to you”.

He didn’t seem to appreciate my attitude though I had a right to my anger. I had been chased and captured. I tilted my head back to get a look at the men ridding with us. This wasn’t good, I recognized one from the fight with the MacLeods, so the man holding me was a MacLeod.

“Your name?” he asked.

Bringing my attention back to him I replied, “Tis none of your concern, ye can let me go now. Ill be of no use to you.”

Tormand chuckled, “ I believe ye will be plenty of use to me lass. Why were ye on MacGuin land?”

I remained silent. His questioning led me to believe he didn’t know who I was or that I was involved with the attack, the other man must not have recognized me. That would change if I was brought to his keep. I needed to convince him to let me go or find a way to escape.

“ I’m growing tired of this game lass, answer my question. Why were you on MacGuin land?”

His tone was pressing my mind raced, “ I was but passing through,” I answered.

Tormand smirked, he really was quite less threatening when he did that. It made me wonder what he looked like when smiled. He had a rugged appearance and his nose had obviously been broken more than once. He was a warrior. The scars I could see on his face and arms were proof of that. But he seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face that made me want to take my hand and smooth it away. I grinned, how was he doing this to me? I knew he was the enemy, I really shouldn’t be feeling this way towards him.

While I was in thought I didn’t notice him watching me, I blushed and lowered my gaze.

“If ye don’t answer my question lass ill be forced to lock ye up until ye do.”

Though his voice wasn’t threatening I knew he would do it.

Glaring at him I stated, “Heather, my name is Heather”

That seemed to shock him. He recovered quickly and glared down at me. “I knew it was you!”

Why my name had made him so angry I didn’t know but he was shooting daggers down at me. I straightened in his hold.

“Why were ye crying?,” he nearly growled.

“Why do ye have so many questions?” I retorted.

His face softened, “I know who ye are wee one, ye don’t have to be afraid of me”, he said softly.

His statement caught my attention, the way he spoke it reminded me….

Could it be? The boy from the stables? The boy I had dreamt about for years was a damned MacLeod?!

He hadn’t given me his name, and those eyes…. Those sea blue eyes. NO!

The only other person besides William who seemed to accept me for who I was, was a MacLeod.

“You’re a MacLeod,” I said between clenched teeth. I hadn’t meant to speak at all but the realization of who he was had disturbed me. I didn’t want to believe it.

He had a confused look on his face and seemed to think his reply over before he answered.

“Aye I am.”

I closed my eyes almost in defeat. This changed things, the memory of the boy from the stables, it didn’t matter anymore. I could never love a MacLeod.

He said softly, “Speak to me lass”.

Anger and betrayal flowed through me.

“What….what is your name?”. I felt on the verge of tears, “ You never told me your name”

He signed softly and replied, “My name is Tormand MacLeod”

My eyes widened. Could it have been any worse?

He was the son of the man who slaughtered my clan.

We rode in silence for a over an hour. I kept my back as straight as I could to keep from touching him, every movement the horse made would make his warm body rub against me. It didn’t help that I was positioned in-between his strong thighs. It felt nice; quite nice but I refused to allow myself to feel pleasure in his arms. I was still tired. I had barely slept and exhaustion was weighing heavy on my body. I didn’t realize when I leaned back against his chest but felt his arm tighten around my waist. Slowly sleep began to take hold. As I closed my eyes I and began drifting off to sleep I felt him lean down and place a soft kiss on top of my head.