Chapter 1

Chapter One

As Persais finished drying and braiding her hair she decided it was time to head back. Her father would be waiting for her report. Jesus, this was all her fault, there would be no peace after today. The MacLeod's would retaliate it was only a matter of time. Hearing a disturbance she turned her gaze to Rouge. The beast was getting impatient. "Just give me another moment Rouge." Rouge snickered, most like it was the new mare that was making him so anxious to get back. "Fine, but you have no idea what we'll be riding into." Sensing her distress he trotted closer, lowering his head to nibble at her ear. Laughing softly she patted his neck. Rouge has been her constant companion since the day he was born.

Being the runt of the two foals his mother had turned him away, denying him the nourishment he needed to survive. Persais had fallen in love with the young foal upon seeing him. She begged her father to let her keep him, promising to care for the animal herself. The Black Parlan, feared throughout the highlands for his glorious temper and prowess in battle had at first disagreed.

"Persais he's too weak too small to survive. You're wasting your time, T'would be better to kill him now dearling to end his suffering." Persais holding the wee foal gazed up at her father with tears in her eyes. "Please papa I can do it, I know I can just give me the chance." Parlan's face softened. His youngest daughter was the spitting image of him with her raven black hair and emerald green eyes. The foal most likely wouldn't survive but he would grant her wish. He couldn't deny her this small happiness. Even if short lived every smile on her wee face was treasured during these hard times.

"Aye wee one you can keep him." Pointing his finger at her he said, "But you will feed him yourself, train him yourself and if he dies....bury him yourself." Persais had been overjoyed, beaming up at her father and snuggling the wee foal closer.

"Thank you papa!" she said, "I can do it you'll see." Kissing the foal on the nose she proclaimed, "I shall call you Rouge."

Rouge sensing he had found his champion had taken to her immediately, following her every command. It had been hard, she'd worked for weeks to save his precious live and they'd been inseparable ever since.

Rouge had grown into an impressive piece of horseflesh, standing a little more than a hand above all the other war horses she'd seen. He was gorgeous and he knew it. Layer upon layer of solid muscle, an imposing figure to most but envied by all others.

Mounting Rouge, she spurred him back towards the keep. Riding through the gate the air of tension was high. Dismounting and handing the reigns to the stable lad, she slowly made her way to the great hall. Seeing that the dais was empty she turned towards her father's solar. This was going to be bad she could feel it. Would her father punish her? No, he'd understand why she did what she did. Aye she'd acted rashly but the MacLeod's' have always been a blasted thorn in their sides. The feuding had ended years ago surely this wouldn't bring it on again? Hearing raised voices she stopped before knocking on the door.

"Father your wrong, you would have done the same had you been in her position and you know it!"

"Hold your tongue boy! Do you realize what she's done? This could cost us everything!" Parlan slammed his fist down on the table. He could feel his face heating, he really should calm himself. Damn what has she done? "William, do you understand what this will mean? The truce is over boy, the fighting will continue and we damn sure don't have the men to spare. With Elspeth's engagement to the Douglas boy we can possibly rely on them for aide... if they don't pull out of the engagement after hearing about this."

"If they retaliate it won't be full scale. Father no one wants to go back to the way things were but they've been using this truce against us for years we'll benefit from this in the long run. Besides I wouldn't mind crossing swords with the MacLeod heir." William always saw the positive in everything. Persais was in for it, her father was angrier than she thought. She heard what sounded like a pitcher hit the wall; she took a step back from the door just in case.

"You're a fool! I hate the MacLeod's more than anyone but our clan has just started rebuilding."

The Black Parlan's temper continued to rise along with his voice. "Perhaps you were too young William, do you not remember the raids, the burning fields, our people starving, our women raped?! This truce was necessary and now that lass will bring hell down upon this clan! I should never have given her authority, she's too young to command and a lass for heaven's sake! The men have a hard enough time taking orders from her as it is."

Taking a deep breath and continuing more gently he said, "Will, I know you think she has potential but her place is here at the keep. She should be preparing to wed like her sister; Hell they both should be married with bariens clinging to their skirts by now."

He didn't mean it he couldn't, she wanted a husband and children like any other woman but who would want her? Who would want a wife that could probably best them in battle? Her place was with the men it always has been. This is the life she had chosen. She couldn't take it anymore she knocked and pushed open the door. Her brother and father fell silent. Parlan MacGuin, proud chieftain of the clan MacGuin sat at his desk staring her down, disappointment clearly visible on his face. Her brother stood against the wall with his arms folded appearing at ease except for the tick in his neck and white lines around his mouth displaying his anger. The pity she saw in his eyes gave her pause. Bracing herself, Persais held her head high and walked forward. Standing in front of her father she stopped and waited.