Love On Wheels

Carol looked out of the window of her lounge, through her crisp, white net curtains, waiting for her children to come home. Veronica, who lived next door, ferried them to and from school in her car, together with her children, as they all attended the same primary school. She was thankful for Veronica's friendship; she was a true gem.

Before leaving to collect the children, Veronica had popped in and helped Carol out of her wheel chair and into 'the contraption' as Carol called it. As her legs weren't strong enough to carry her weight, it was the only way she was able to stand on her feet. It was proving more difficult for her to physically lift herself from the wheel chair, but if she didn't try she would be stuck in the blasted thing all day and every day, so she made the effort. And now she was standing at the window watching the world go by, wriggling and feeling her feet; the wooden frame firmly clasped around her waist.

Carol watched as a teenage girl rode a red bicycle down the road, her strong legs pedalling slower and slower until finally, she got off of the bike and pushed. Carol could remember riding a bike. It was so exhilarating! She knew how much people took their strong, healthy legs for granted.

It was hard to believe it was almost ten years since their unconventional wedding. She, instead of Andy, had stood waiting at the altar (with her sticks) looking like, in her own opinion, a white marshmallow. She had been determined to stand to make her 'vows'. Andy had marched proudly down the aisle grinning and when he reached her, he'd said "Fancy seeing you here!" and she'd laughed as he'd kissed her forehead. She never ceased to marvel at the fact that he'd taken her on, with all of her problems, but then, as he said, he really loved her. Carol knew better than anyone that 'Love' was not just a feeling, or a romantic notion. It was action; 'Love on Wheels'.

Carol was not sure if she believed in God or not, but every day she said deep down in her heart, 'Thank you God, for Andy'.

MS was frustrating and debilitating and how she wished she hadn't contracted it. Why didn't child murderers get it or thugs who beat up little old ladies? Or rapists? They would deserve it! Why did she have to get it? There was no answer, but being bitter didn't help one bit and (for everyone's sake) she tried very hard not to be.

As she continued to watch from the window, Veronica's small, silver car drew up at the kerb. There they were, Carol's two boisterous little angels, laughing, happy and ready for anything; something to eat probably.

Well, when weren't they ready for something to eat? The key turned in the lock and there was Veronica, ready to help her back into the dreaded wheel chair.

500 words