3. MICHAEL

Released prisoner number three.

 MICHAEL

The Emotion here is Forgiveness.

Michael walked through the prison door feeling relieved that his prison sentence was over. A movement behind him made him turn around. The Chaplain was coming towards him, he waved and called out, "I'm leaving now Mike, would you like a lift?"  As the Chaplain caught up with him Michael replied, "Yes please, if you're sure. I'm going to the bus station and I need to buy a bunch of flowers."

The prison door closed and together they walked to the Chaplain's car. "You've got that address I gave you?" the Chaplain asked, as they climbed into the car. "Yes," said Michael. "But first I'm going to try that church you suggested. It's close to where I'm going to be living." That he, Michael Bentley, would ever be going to church was a strange thought, but Michael had found God and now there was no going back. He had a lot to learn, how to pray and how to study the bible, but he was determined.

Michael had fought with his younger brother, Kieran and killed him with one unlucky punch. It had been hard for the family to come to terms with and his father had never forgiven him and had died two years ago. He wasn't sure what his mother's re-action would be when he visited her today. She hadn't written to him or visited him once since his incarceration seven years ago, but he needed her forgiveness now. The family needed healing.

One night, alone in his cell, his fellow inmate having been taken to the hospital, Michael had wept in despair. 'Forgive me, please forgive me' he'd called out and God had come to him. He'd been flooded through with a wonderful peace and he knew that God had forgiven him. It was a spectacular feeling! God told him to follow him and he would give him a new life.

It was a short journey to the bus station and the Chaplain stopped the car at a convenient place. "There's a florist's shop and the bus station is around the corner." he said.

"Thank you so much. You've been wonderful to me." said Michael.

"Well, you're only the second man I've ever known to come to God in that prison." said the Chaplain, "The other guy is now a well known evangelist!"

Michael smiled, "Please don't get your hopes up on my account." They laughed together, said their farewells and Michael waved the Chaplain off promising to keep in touch.

Michael bought the biggest bunch of flowers he could afford and then caught the bus to his mother's address. He walked up the garden path and knocked on the door, a feeling of trepidation filling his chest. What would she say? Would she reject him? After a few moments the door opened and there she stood, looking just as she always had. Neither of them spoke, then with tears pouring down her face, she threw her arms around him and drew him into the house.

504 words