An Unwanted Invite

Skye's alarm woke her up the next morning at nine, beeping like crazy and sounding like a truck horn. With a grumble she rolled over and smashed her hand down on the 'off' button. She heard a different moan and sat up, but soon relaxed when she saw it was Jas.

With a crinkle of her nose, Skye looked away. She could smell the alcohol clinging to the air and wafting off of Jas. The room was a mess, too; clothes crumpled on the floor, an empty cup lying on the ground, a small liquid stain on the carpet.

Skye set to work, folding clothes and putting aside the dirty ones. She scrubbed at the carpet with warm soapy water and then carpet cleaner. Jas continued to sleep, snoring lightly as Skye tided up the room. Morning sunlight drizzled in through the gap in the curtains and the clock slowly ticked by to midday.

Jas was still asleep and the only thing left in the room was the stench of alcohol and body odour. Skye shook her awake.

"Get up. You need to shower, you smell," Skye said.

Jas opened her blood-shot eyes and pulled a face.

"Must I? I'm so tired. Let me sleep a bit more," she said, burrowing back into the blankets.

Skye tapped her fingers against her thigh. Inspections weren't for another few days, and the smell would be gone before then. But it was unclean.

She paced, taking in deep breaths. No one here cared if the room was a little dirty. Even the inspectors of the dorm rooms didn't care too much – Lila's room always had unmade bedsheets, stains on the walls and floor, and trash bins overflowing with tissues and old make-up. It was okay to have a little bit of a smell.

"Can you stop pacing?" Jas asked from under the covers. "Do your homework."

Skye stopped the pacing, but she couldn't concentrate on the work she needed to do. She stood in the middle of the room, fingers tap, tap, tapping.

"Oh, all right!" Jas huffed, throwing off the covers and grabbing her shower stuff. Mumbling curses at Skye under her breath, Jas went off to shower.

Two hours later Jas had showered, and Lila had risen. Both were sitting on Jas' bed, reminiscing about meeting Finn Hammond. Skye had thrown the window open and sprayed air-freshener, and the air was finally clearing from the smell of old booze.

She still couldn't concentrate with Jas and Lila. Even though they were whispering, trying to be as quiet as possible, she jumped out of her skin every time they said 'ice' or 'hockey' or 'Minnesota Wilds'.

With her nerves frayed, she left the room for the library. The campus was empty, completely normal for a Sunday. Most people were nursing their hangovers, going over the events of the last night with a shriek of laughter.

She had used to be like them; getting drunk and waking up with a headache and a sore stomach but a grin on her face as she, Lila and Jas laughed about the event of the night before. But drinking came with its prices and soon they hit Skye right in the face.

"I see you got home alright."

A voice right next to Skye's ear made her jump a foot in the air. Her books tumbled to the ground as she rounded on the voice, fists closed and raised. Adrenaline rushed through her veins. Fight.

Jay Brooks stared at her, eyebrows raised as she stared him down with her fists ready to swing.

"Do you actually know how to fight or is this just a poor choice?" he asked.

"What do you want?" Skye retorted, picking up her fallen books.

"Nothing much" he shrugged. "Did you enjoy my party?" he asked seriously, as though it was the most important thing for him to know. Even though he was poised to take over several successful businesses, Jay didn't seem to have the right priorities.