Chapter Twenty-Seven

sean, babe♡

The first thing Kataleen felt when she woke up, was the overbearing presence of Arthur. Her body pressed against his, she felt a dull ache all over. Slowly wiggling her fingers, she tried to return movement to her stiff form. Not long after, Kataleen slowly moved away from Arthur's warm body and breathed out as she felt herself cool off. What she had not expected was how little the bed they were sleeping in was, and she tumbled off the edge. Landing on the white stone floor with a loud thumb, she let out a small cry of pain.

Alarmed, Arthur shot off the bed and hurried over to her side.

"Are you all right?" He asked, picking her small body up and placing her on the bed with ease. "Fuck Kataleen, I've been so worried."

"How long have I been out?" Kataleen asked instead of answering, placing a hand on her forehead as she closed her eyes. She was in what she remembered as the infirmary, the small, slightly uncomfortable, bed being a sure telltale. The room was white and didn't give off any special feeling. The room just was.

"About ten hours, max." Arthur said, looking at her with worry in his eyes. "How do you feel?"

"Better, at least." Kataleen said, thinking back at the fight. "The wound on my shoulder hurts like hell, though."

"I don't even know how you are awake now." Arthur said, pursing his lips. He took a deep breathe before continuing, "It looked bad, Kataleen, really bad."

"I know, I should have been more careful." Kataleen said. Taking her bottom lip between her teeth, she carefully watched Arthur.

"I was so worried." Arthur said, repeating what he said before. "I knew you would wake up, but that didn't help. Don't do it again, you idiot."

"I'll try." Kataleen said, a small sigh leaving her mouth. "But we knew that we were going to be injured. I can take care of myself, even though I'm thankful that you were there. It could have gone worse if you weren't."

Arthur nodded, and Kataleen moved closer to him on the bed. She lay her head on his chest, relaxing into his warm, hard body. She took a deep breathe in, closing her eyes in exhaustion. As she opened them again, Arthur was staring down at her.

"Stop looking at me like I'm going to crumble any second." Kataleen muttered, closing her eyes again. "Just let me rest a bit, I'm tired."

"Okay," Arthur softly said, placing a small kiss on the crown of her head. Lying down, he pulled Kataleen closer to him so that her head hand upper back was on his chest.

She didn't feel like sleeping, she had done that too long already, but she didn't want to go up either. She thought about the fight again, and felt a small sliver of fear. If she had died then, what would have happened to Arthur? To Anna? Her friends and family?

Now that she had a mate, it was not only her wellbeing she had to be concerned of, but also Arthur's. What she did indirectly affected him, and the reckless things she sometimes liked to dabble in were off limits. If Kataleen was to die, there was a chance that Arthur also would. There were many stories about mates that had lost their other halves and gone insane, Arthur's own mother being one of them. She was no longer an independent lone wolf roaming with her best friends, she was also a mate and a future Luna. All the thoughts made her head spin, and the feeling of anxiety lightly brushed her mind.

A knock sounded at the door, and Arthur hadn't even finished welcoming the person in before the door shot up and Kataleen was ripped away from Arthur.

"Oh god, Kataleen," A worried voice belonging to Colin sounded. "I have been so worried. How could you be so stupid?"

"Colin, it hurts." Kataleen meekly said, and he quickly released her from the painful embrace that had pressurised her healing wounds.