Chapter Thirty-One

Kataleen slowly opened her eyes, allowing them to adjust to the harsh sunlight streaming in from her window. With a groan, she pulled the sheets closer to her body, not wanting to go up from the soft bed. Now that she had finally gotten a night of sleep, she never wanted to go up. Apparently, her insomnia had not only pushed her to the point of severe exhaustion, but now that she had rested, she felt more tired than ever.

"Kataleen," A voice quietly said, and Kataleen sat up, startled. She looked around the room, and noticed Anna sitting in one of the chairs, in the corner of her room.

"Oh," Kataleen said, still a bit surprised over not being alone. "Hi Anna, what are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to see if you had woken up," Anna said, biting her lip. "And to say that I am sorry for keeping you up all this time. I didn't think you were this affected."

Kataleen's heart sank a little, going out for Anna. "It's not your fault at all, the blame is all on me."

"But my nightmares..."

"Had noting to do with it," Kataleen firmly said. "I have been stressed about a lot of things, and I hadn't talked to Arthur in a week. I called him yesterday, and then went to sleep."

"Yesterday?" Anna said in confusion, before giving her a sad smile. "Kataleen, you have been sleeping for two days."

"What?" Kataleen said, her eyes wide in shock. "How?"

"Werewolves need sleep, and as you deprive your wolf of it, you will end up having to make up for lost time." Anna said, furrowing he eyebrows. "Haven't Colin and I already taught you this?"

Kataleen parted her mouth, and searched her memory for any recollection of what Anna just said. Coming up blank, she gave Anna a sheepish smile. "Probably, but I don't remember it."

Anna rolled her eyes, and smiled. It was good to see Anna without worry, but she new that those times were rare after the incident. Kataleen smiled back, before remembering one important thing, "What about Arthur?"

At that, Anna gave out a loud laugh, her eyes scrunching up and her mouth in a wide grin. "That is the best part of it all. He has been calling non-stop, just check your phone."

Her happiness being infectious, Kataleen gave her a grin and scrambled to reach her phone by her bedside table. Just as Anna had said, Kataleen had to scroll down through the notifications to see all of the messages and calls Arthur had left her. She got a bit worried as she read all of the 'I'm coming to get you' texts, but her worry was soon put to rest by Anna's reassurance that Derek had talked to Arthur and assured him that she was only sleeping. She wanted to be next to Arthur, to feel him physically, but she had this feeling that she wasn't done in Moon pack yet, a part of that because of the letter she had left in Mathew's house.

"Are you feeling better now?" Kataleen asked, and Anna's mood turned somber.

"I am," Anna said, biting the inside of her left cheek. "Partly at least, I still have nightmares, but I hope that the memories will fade in time."

Kataleen wanted to ask what memories she was referring to, but the look on Anna's face made her rethink. She had already worsened the happy mood, and if Anna didn't want to talk about it, she shouldn't have to. What good would it do to make her bring up things she had purposefully tried to forget, before she was ready? Kataleen couldn't even fathom betraying her best friend's trust by pressuring her into speaking unwanted thoughts.

"Thank you," Anna said, giving her a sad smile as she clearly detected Kataleen's thoughts. "I have to go, but Mathew wanted me to give you this. He said that you probably wanted to read it."

Anna gave Kataleen the letter that her adoptive parents had left her, and quickly left the room, leaving Kataleen stunned as she rested her head against the headboard. Tentatively opening the envelope, she unfolded the letter, and began reading.

✤✣✤✣✤✣✤✣✤✣✤✣✤✣✤✣✤✣✤

The next chapter will be the letter, and as I wrote it I was seriously near tears. I haven't cried in a long time, so it was quite surprising.

Vote, comment

- Emma