Chapter 7: You're Drama Queens

"How can you two not remember which room? You two remember everything!" John said, angrily to you and Sherlock. "We have to delete something!" Sherlock said, irritably. "207." Mary said as she runs towards you and the boys. She takes John's hand and they run up the stairs as Sherlock grabs your hand and chases after them.

Reaching the second floor, Sherlock, still holding your hand, runs towards the door of Room 207 and knocks on it. "Major Sholto? Major Sholto!" He said as he rattles the door handle. You knock on the door as well and said. "Major Sholto!"  

"If someone's about to make an attempt on my life, it won't be the first time. I'm ready." Sholto said, loudly. John walks towards the door as you and Sherlock step back. "Major, let us in." John shouted.

"Kick the door down." Mary said to him.

"I really wouldn't. I have a gun in my hand and a lifetime of unfortunate reflexes." Sholto said.

"You're not safe in there. Whoever's after you, we know that a locked room doesn't stop him." You shouted.

"The invisible man with the invisible knife." Sholto said.

"We don't know how he does it, so we can't stop him, and that means he'll do it again." Sherlock said.

"Solve it, then." Sholto said.

"I-I'm sorry?" Sherlock asked, him.

"You two are like the dynamic duo. You're the famous Mr Holmes and Sergeant (L/N). Solve the case. On you go." Sholto said as your eyes rapidly flicker from side to side as you think and Sherlock mimics your action.

"Tell me how he did it and I'll open the door." Sholto said as John steps forward to the door again.

"Please, this is no time for games. Just let us in! You're in danger!" John said.

"So are you, so long as you're here." Sholto said. Mary watches you and Sherlock as you two pace back and forth.

"Please, leave me. Despite my reputation, I really don't approve of collateral damage." Sholto said.

"Solve it." Mary said to you and Sherlock.

"Sorry?" You asked.

"Solve it, and he'll open the door, like he said." Mary said.

"If we couldn't solve it before, how can we sole it now?" Sherlock asked her.

"Because it matters now." Mary said.

"What are you talking about?" You asked her as Sherlock turns to John and said. "What's she talking about? Get your wife under control."  

"She's right." John said.

"Oh, you've changed!" You said to him.

"No, she is. Shut up. You two are not puzzler solvers--you two never have been. You are drama queens!" John shouted as he points at you and Sherlock.

You and Sherlock give him a shocked look and stare at him. "Now, there is a man in there about to die. The game is on. Solve it!" John said, angrily. Sherlock bares his teeth at John but your eyes snap upwards as you remember something. The bloody guardsman....the belt...the skewer down at the kitchen...OH MY GOD!!!! THAT'S IT!!!! You thought. You smile widely at this and you look over at Sherlock and see he has come to the same conclusion.

You walk over to Mary, hugged her and kiss her cheek. "In fairness, he's a drama queen too." You said, pointing at John. "Yeah, I know." Mary said as Sherlock walks over to the door.

"Major Sholto, no one's coming to kill you. I'm afraid you've already been killed several hours ago." Sherlock said.

"What did you say?" Sholto asked.