✶Twinkle✶

The next day that I saw Peter in class was a bit awkward so to say. Sitting beside Jenna, Peter sat diagonally from me. Beside him sat Thomas and as the teacher prompted us to look at cell samples through a microscope, we all shared a single one.

    Taking the occasional glance at each other, a rosy blush took over Peter's face. Shyly looking away, Jenna looked up at me and crossed her arms across her chest. "Seriously, what is up with you two? You two have been giggling and flirting like little kids all morning. Just get it over with and make out already."

    Trying hard to control my reaction, a smile formed on my lips and my face turned a shade of red. Taking a glance back at him, Peter's expression mirrored mine. Guilt written on his face, he shot a playful smile at Jenna.

    "You two did not," Jenna said, gawking in surprise. I caught Thomas' ears perking up through his silence.

    "Please tell me you did not," she repeated, her plump lips forming into a smirk.

    "We did not?" Said Peter in more of a questioning than a telling manner. Nonchalantly shrugging his shoulders, Jenna nearly flipped out.

    "Laney, why didn't you tell me?! We're supposed to tell each other these things!"

    Thomas chuckled as he wiggled a pencil in his hand. "As interesting as this is, I think we should get back to the assignment."

    "Same," replied Peter as he tried to avert everyone's attention from the awkward subject of our relationship. We were in the stage where we weren't exactly an 'item' but weren't exactly 'single.'

    "I'm telling you, it was the thong," Jenna whispered in my ear which caused me to chuckle and turn bright red.

    "Still, I sort of sensed this would happen," Said Thomas. "I don't know how exactly it works but-"

    "The lining up of the cells?" Asked Peter as Thomas looked into the microscope.

    "No dude. You and Laney. I saw the way you looked at her when you first saw her."

    If this subject was on display for any longer, my face was going to turn as bright as Rudolph's nose.

    Suddenly, the door walked open and in came a beautiful blonde woman. Her short, wavy hair bounced behind her and her bright blue eyes twinkled as she walked in.

    The professor walked over and greeted her, writing down a some information as she answered questions.

    "Looks like we have a new student," I said, turning back to the group. Jenna was jotting down data on her lab paper and sighed.

    "If we get anymore new students, they're going to have to make desks on the windowsill. My goodness."

    Chuckling at her statement, Thomas seemed to be intrigued by the new student.

    "Earth to Thomas," Jenna said as she moved her pencil back and forth across his face. "Pretty girl got your tongue?"

    Snapping out of it, a rosy blush took over his face. "No...," he responded, shyly averting his attention back to the assignment.

    However what confused me the most was how Peter was acting. Nervously tapping his pencil on the desk, he was pretending to look in the microscope. Jenna noticing how I was staring at him, seemed to catch onto my cue.

    "Hey, you can't hog the microscope," she said as she bumped sides with him and made him move back to his seat. As I locked eyes with him, a certain kind of anxiousness danced within them. As his jaw tensed up, I gave up.

    Crossing my arms over my chest, I asked, "Peter what's wrong?"

    Looking down at his desk, he quickly glanced back up at my desk. " I know her."

    "The new student?" Curiously asked Thomas.

    Nodding, he fiddled his thumbs. "She was from my hometown. And I'm sure there's a good reason she's transferred to here."

    A nervous knot formed in my throat and I could barely form any words. "Is this about the....the events that happened the other night?"

    Thomas' eyebrows then raised in curiosity. "Peter, you have some catching up to do."

    Nodding, he agreed. "Sure, but now's not the time."

    Jenna put a hand on her hip. "Am I the only one that is confused about what's going on now?"

    Ignoring her, she seemed to get annoyed.

    "So what does she want?" I asked.

    "Most likely she's here to check on me," he replied, his whole face and neck now tensed up. "Which is not a good sign. At all."

    "And who exactly is she to you?" Asked Thomas.

    "You took the words out of my mouth Tom," I replied.

    Jenna began again. "Seriously guys, what are you-"

    Peter spoke up. "Jenna, I promise we'll catch you up later but for now just pretend that you know what we're talking about."

    "I still don't though...," she replied.

    "Jenna, you'll learn everything later," I replied as I let out a sigh of annoyance. I hope she wouldn't hate me later for letting out my frustration on her now.

    "Her name is Belle," said Peter. "

"She's my childhood friend."

© Lightning_Stryker 2016

Oooooo Peter's got another girl in his life! And according to Thomas, she's super pretty! What do you think will happen next?