13

When I wake instead of being curled up next to Mr J I was cuddling with Harley. She was still sleeping, her delicate features gorgeous in the morning light. I didn't want to move, I wanted to stay close to her even after her threats from the previous day. I had a sudden urge to cuddle closer, if that was even possible. The moment I see her eyelids start to flutter I close my eyes and slow my breathing to appear asleep still.

"What." She whispers. I feel her sit up slightly but lay back down again. A stray piece of my hair falls in front of my face tickling my nose making it twitch slightly. I feel another movement and the hair is moved, once again tucked behind my ear. Suddenly I feel a light kiss on my forehead. Harley kissed me. People kiss their pets though its normal. I pretend to stir and wake up. When I do Harley's eyes are closed again.

"Oops, Harley is going to beat me if she sees us this close." I mumble in attempt to cover my tracks. Gently I pull away and get out of the bed. She lays still while I leave the room. I walk into my bedroom to brush my teeth, do my hair and get dressed. When I am ready I make my way to the kitchen and see Mr J drinking a coffee and looking at some papers. He must hear me enter as he suddenly speaks up.

"We are going to have a trial day of no jacket, darling. If you are a bad girl I will put it back on and lock you in your room." He looks up, his hair slightly messy but adorable.

"Understand?" Quickly I nod and grab an apple from the bowl on the island counter. Happily I bite into it, relieved I can feed myself. Once I have chewed the apple down to the core I throw it in the bin and head straight for the study. I spend hours moving and arranging books until I am happy with the final result.

"Darling, we are going out for dinner!" Mr J calls out to me as he walks in. My hands were full of books, a pile so high I couldn't see him. I poke my head around the side and nod. He laughs lightly at the sight and helps me place them down.

"There is a dress on your bed and I have a gift for you." He says as he places books on the already crowded desk. Gently he lifts my chin staring into my eyes for a moment and then looking away again. I lightly step up the stairs and go into my room, a black dress that luckily won't show too much skin was laid out along with a flower crown of black roses. I slip into the dress, curl and place the flower crown in my hair. Happy I slip on a pair of black flats to go along with it. The dress flows nicely so when I spin it fans out around me. When I exit into the hallway I see Harley wearing something very revealing, showing off her amazing figure. I couldn't help but admire her for a moment. I go downstairs once again to see Mr J in an amazing purple tux holding a silver box. Harley was following closely behind me.

"All pets need their collar when they go out." He says opening the box to reveal a silver choker engraved with the words 'property of the Joker' I smile excitedly and put it on. The cool metal is nice against my skin and I feel proud to be his property. When we arrive to the restaurant I see a crowd of people already seated and people waiting to be seated.

"Darling, we are going downstairs." Mr J holds my hand so I don't get lost and we head down an elevator.

"Reservation for Joker." He says to a fancy looking host. We are lead to a table at the back, a fish tank behind the seats. Harley sits possessively next to Mr J and I hesitate as to where to go. I finally decide on the seat opposite Mr J facing the tank of colourful exotic fish. I continue to follow a clownfish as he swims in and out of fake ships and other plastic accessories, my thoughts become all I can focus on and the background noise of chatter fades into nothing.

"Are you ready to order?" A waitress asks looking towards Harley and Mr J. Harley orders for herself and Mr J orders for the both of us which I am grateful for. I was staring to lose interest in talking, I liked my permanent silence. I place a hand on the table and lightly drum my fingers against it, still watching the one little fish I fondly name Chuck. Chuck the clownfish.
"Darling." Mr J gets my attention and I snap out of my daze about fish.
"Please stop that." He points a finger to my still drumming hand. Obediently I stop and hold my hands in my lap gaining an approving smile. Harley starts up a conversation with him again, sadly I had lost track of Chuck and he could be anywhere at this point. I picked up some words from the conversation such as 'next job' 'murder' and other things that didn't make too much sense to me.
"Order for Joker." The waitress announces placing the dishes in front of us. The moment I see meat on my plate I realise I should've told Mr J I am vegetarian. Feeling too scared to say anything I try to eat the food the hadn't touched what I presumed was steak, I ate small amounts of mashed potato, carrot and other vegetables.
"Darling, do you not like steak?" Mr J asks, obviously noticing my avoidance of it.
"I'm vegetarian Mr J." I mumble not daring to make eye contact.
"Why didn't you tell me sooner? I would've made them remake it without the meat." I try to make myself smaller, concerned I was angering him. I stop eating there, too anxious to eat any more. Instead I sip water and watch the fish again, waiting for the night to be over. Finally the night slows to a stop and we travel home.
"Darling, tomorrow we will start training you, you will learn commands and basic fighting skills." Mr J starts. I really was becoming a human pet. He continues to discuss what I will be learning, from what he described it sounded a lot like I was going to be trained like a dog, treats when I do something right and scolding when I do something wrong. When we arrive home I head straight for my room to get ready for bed. Half way through brushing my teeth I hear a fight break out between Harley and Mr J, their yells audible but I still didn't understand what it was about. When I start to cuddle down under the covers my room door opens and Harley walks in, tears staining her cheeks. She looks a mess. Without questioning it I watch her change into some of my clothes and climb in the bed next to me. Surprisingly she pulls me close and cries into my chest. My arms warp around her and I try to comfort her but without words, I knew pets are good at comforting their people without having to say anything. Eventually she falls asleep still cuddling me, her makeup had stained my shirt but I didn't care, Mr J could beat me if he wanted but I was determined to stay loyal to both of them. That included being there when Harley needs a cuddle and a cry.