19

I search desperately for my baby sister but she is nowhere to be seen, my mother must notice my desperation and fear. Tears well up in her eyes and she sits in the seat next to my bed.

"Hi baby." She whispers. From the corner of my eye I see someone with a camera, I point at it hoping my face gives away my confusion. My mother turns and wipes her nose.

"The news wanted to film us reuniting, its a miracle you survived baby girl." My dad sits with his head lowered. I desperately wish I could choke out the words 'where is Alexis' but I just can't do it. I try looking around desperately hoping my mother will get the hint.

"They told me you can't talk, from the trauma. Im guessing you're looking for Alexis?" She whispers sniffling again.

"After that day in the bank she was driven.. mad I guess you could say. She became obsessed with the Joker and desperate to find you." My mother pauses for a moment.

"Just two weeks ago she went missing, no body has been found but there is no trace of her either." My mother sighs, folding her hands in my lap. I scream in anger and frustration. Something has happened to my baby sister and now she is probably dead! I tear at the needles in my arms, pulling them out and pulling cords off me. Nurses come rushing trying to stop me. I try to force my way out of my bed but I am pulled back. I scream hysterically, the camera catching everything. Tears fall desperately, I don't know where I was trying to go but I need to leave and find my sister. I am jabbed in the neck and slowly I feel myself lose consciousness. 

<><><><>

When I wake I see my mother asleep in the chair next to my bed. My face feels dry with tears but when I try to move my arms I find that my wrists are tied to the bed. I sigh and give up. I let my thoughts consume me, the darkest and the worst thoughts. Memories of the abuse, the pain they caused. What was it all for? It is over now and eventually my entire existence will be forgotten and over. I hated myself for not struggling in the nightclub that day, I hate myself for ever considering the job, I hate myself for not being there enough for Alexis. Now she is gone and there isn't anything I can do! I desperately wish for her back, I need my baby sister! She will be 16 now, maybe she has a boyfriend. She probably has heaps of friends at dance who don't know what is happening, she probably has something coming up at school a big event that she would be so excited for. Her life has been consumed by the people who took me, they stole my sisters childhood. I wish she never saw me that day in the bank. Then maybe she would be here, holding my hand and telling me terrible jokes. I need to wait for the right moment to finally fix this all.

<><><><> 

6 weeks pass of being in the hospital and no news on Alexis. Every day I wake up wishing it was a dream. I made sure I didn't have any more outburst, I need them to trust me enough to be allowed to get out of bed without help. I have started to gain weight again and look less like a skeleton but its not from eating. I stare at the food they bring me but I can't touch it. Food is like an enemy to me, its there to torture me. Eventually the restraints are taken off my wrists, another week goes by and I am finally allowed to try walking around my room without someone holding my elbows. I wait until it has been 12 weeks and I finally put my plan into action. I was going to fix what has happened.