Chapter Eleven

While Deacon and Electra were having their reunion, Sage had snuck into the cell, and sat down next to Lux without her noticing. When she did notice, she had the exact response he was expecting.

She jumped backwards. "Why the hell are you in here?!"

"Because I'm helping you escape," he said quietly so no one else heard him.

"Why? Aren't you Jet's henchman who does everything he says? Don't you kill people just to kill people?" the girl replied angrily, not as quietly as Sage.

"I used to."

"Bull."

"How do you think your friends got through the doors in time? Do you think they just happened to get through just as they were closing?"

"That's exactly what I thought, yes," Lux said rudely.

"Well it's not what happened!"

"What happened then?"

"I heard the news that they were headed this way. I twisted some vines around the lever to close the doors and around the doors themselves so they wouldn't close. I wanted them to come. I want Jet to perish."

"You're trying to tell me you're trying to save us?"

"Yes."

"I'll say it once and I'll say it again. Bull."

"Lux, Jet will figure out it was because of me and he'll come for me." He got on his knees "Please. You have to believe me."

Lux planned out what she would do immediately. Sage didn't even notice. She twitched her fingers back to when she was first arriving. She looked over at the door, and did, in fact, see vines covering the door. She returned to where she was. "I believe you."

"Thank you!"

Lux rolled her eyes. "Yeah, sure. Thanks for helping us, I guess."

He looked down in shame, blushing a small bit. "I also did it for another reason."

"And what would that be?"

"You."

Lux stared at Sage, her mouth open in shock. "Me?"

Sage lowered his head. "Y-yeah."

Lux blushed. "O-oh, ok."

Sage glanced up, meeting Lux's golden brown eyes. In one swift motion, he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her full on the mouth. He broke away and walked out again. Ryker stared across the cell.

"Did he just kiss you?" he asked. Lux stared in shock after Sage as the edge of his cloak disappeared around the corner. "Yeah", she answered. She brushed her thumb over her mouth, the feeling of Sage's lips on hers lingering.

Ryker smirked, opening his mouth, and Lux shushed him. "I didn't even say anything!" he protested.

Lux glared. "You were going to."

Ryker shrugged. "Maybe..."

Lux got up, brushing off her dress. "I believe the correct answer is 'Yes, I was going to say something.'"