Revelations

"What!" Came a deafening screech, "You're a wanted criminal?!"

"First of all, whoever that was, I'm already blind; I don't need to be deaf." I winced, shaking my head to rid it of the ringing in my ears. "Technically, the four of us are wanted criminals. The Elementals are wanted for their- our- power. The Elementals have the absolute trust of the Aratinian people, and they are the most powerful Nature Gifteds. Some are more powerful than Sorcerers, it depends on the group. It also depends on the times. It is said that powerful Elementals appear when Aratin is in grave danger, while less powerful are born to peaceful generations. Some generations don't have Elementals at all. In fact, we are the first Elementals since our great-grandparents time."

"So we're dangerous," Maya's deep voice called out, "We symbolize destruction."

"To some people,"  I agreed, "But we really stand for rebirth, not destruction."

"How do we just come and go? The Elementals, I mean." Maya spoke clearly, lifting her head and straightening her spine. A small smile touched my lips; she was ready to begin training. Leah had been ready from the start. Maya took some convincing, and Era..... Era wasn't going to go against her brother. I knew that. She wasn't weak, but she wanted everyone to be happy. My mother had taught me this about Air Elementals, so I was ready.

"No one really knows. My mother always said it was because the Father knew when the world needed the Elementals, and when they didn't. This last generation of rulers has twisted people's ideas of Gifteds. My village, Gery, was a safe haven for all. Everyone, Gifteds and non-Gifteds alike, lived together in harmony,"

"That sounds wonderful," Era gushed. My small smile grew into a wistful grin as I thought back to my beloved village, my home.

"It was." I said, wishing that it was still standing.

"Was?" Ryan wasn't going to let me slide on anything, I could tell. He shouldn't, after all, I am about to train his younger sister to use a powerful ability-- me, a complete stranger.

"A couple of weeks ago, royal soldiers attacked my village and burned it to the ground," Tears welled in my unseeing eyes, "I was the only survivor."

"See? She's capable, Ryan." Era informed her brother as guilt ripped through my chest. I was only alive because I was out of the village at the exact moment of the attack. If I had been there....

"I wish I had your confidence, sister," Ryan eyed me up and down wearily. I hung my head; maybe Ryan was seeing something in me I didn't see. Maybe I''m not ready.

I wish I had Era's confidence in me, too.