THE CHANGE (21)

ALEX

The cool water rushed down my body sending shocks down my spine. Twelve hours had passed since we arrived in the humble woman's home, twelve very emotional hours. Only a few hours ago the realization dawned upon me that I had my fated mate, meaning I had less than three hours to get ready for midnight and my dreaded transformation.

I rest my back against the smooth wooden wall in front of the shower head. Who do you choose? the question rang inside my head, taunting me to no end. I stifled a scream that threatened to burst from within me. At some point, I thought things would work out with Alexander and I but he shattered all those thoughts when he rejected and on the other hand I had my mate, my true mate. He truly was perfection but that was probably because I didn't really know him yet except for the fact that his name was Brandon and that he was five years older than me, making him twenty-four years old.

I had an obligation to Alexander and the more I thought about it, I didn't really have a choice. I had to be with Alexander no matter how much my heart ached for Brandon. Taking one last deep breath I sauntered out of the minuscule bathroom with a towel wrapped securely around my body.

"Maybe you should look around before walking around half naked," a husky voice stopped me in my tracks. Slowly, I turned around to find Brandon's large frame sprawled across the bed that was placed in the midst of the room which Gretta had very generously set up for Alexander and me.

"Maybe you shouldn't walk into places where you don't belong," I enunciated with a shaky voice and clutched the small towel closer to my body.

"That's where you're wrong, I do belong here. I belong anywhere you are. I am your mate after all," he answered with a lazy grin.

"Did you forget? I am married, I already have a mate," I proclaimed strongly nonetheless I could feel my resolve, which was to stay strong, begin to weaken as he continued to stare into my eyes with a predatory gaze.

In an instant, he was in front of me, "Oh, believe me, I didn't forget, I couldn't forget!" he announced before gently caressing my cheek and then suddenly his hand grabbed my chin roughly.

"I waited for you, Couldn't you grant me the same courtesy?" he snarled before releasing his harsh hold on me.

"You don't know anything," I whispered weakly.

"I truly don't, I don't understand how you could just whore around with a man who isn't even your mate!" he let out a bitter laugh.

"Look," I sighed out as tears began gathering in my eyes, "I just..." I was about to continue but he cut me off.

"No. you look, I didn't even want to talk to you but my mother made me come up here. She wanted me to tell you and your husband" he sneered the word husband, " to know that our house has a curfew and if you are to stay here you need to follow our rules which evidently means that you can't leave the house after ten," he continued before begging to walk away.

Before he could exit the room I grabbed on to his arm, watching him walk away brought up an unimaginable amount of pain and stopping him was an instinctive reaction. Slowly, he turned around, his face supported an indifferent expression.